Newbie: JBJ 12 gallon nano build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's odd mine rarely come out. The day I put them in they went straight under. Now only see the really if the tank if being fed

It's a yellow goby. Found the goby stuck between the surface skimmer and the water intake. Hopefully he won't do it again.

I have a problem I keep putting snails in the tank. nassarius, nerites, and astraea and all of them keep dying. Whats going on?

Only the turbos hermit and emaralds are surviving and moving.

ahoDMV said:
It's a yellow goby. Found the goby stuck between the surface skimmer and the water intake. Hopefully he won't do it again.

I have a problem I keep putting snails in the tank. nassarius, nerites, and astraea and all of them keep dying. Whats going on?

Only the turbos hermit and emaralds are surviving and moving.

Well one may be that the tank doesn't is so new, there may not be enough food for them to eat. Another option may be a copper based related. I've heard of it somehow getting into a system and can knock out entire cuc. When you clean your filters and products, what do you use?

I use distilled water to rinse but the measuring cup I rinse with tap and I wipe it down.

Lfs said it might be the crabs killing the snails.

Yeah it could be the crabs. I would try and throw some more brine or mysis, if u have it, and see if that makes a difference

I tried the brine last night. Didn't work to well. Lfs told me to maybe get some fish and wait a little an than get more snails

Bought two peppermint shrimps and two clownfish

Attachments

• image-3906034320.jpg
    image-3906034320.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 101
I wouldn't add anything else for awhile except corals. Drip acclimation is the best for fish too instead of hanging the bag just an idea for next time. Really easy to do with a piece of airline tubing. It gets them use to your water as well as the temp

Watch your levels to make sure you bio load can handle the three fish and two shrimp all at once. Just don't want u to get a spike and loose a fish

Oh i'll have to keep them in mind. I asked the LFS and they told me to hang the bags and pour some water in the bag. But i'll try the drip acclimation next time. Do I need to do anything else besides using a airline hose (like a heater)

For bioload, how do I know if the bioload level is too high?

Yeah that's a huge bioload for that tank. You have a total of four fish and two shrimp now?

Stick with the corals now, I would wait at least a couple weeks though until your tank can level out.

I was also suggested to only leave my light on for about 5 hours max. Is that advice right?

I told him how I have a hair algae problem and I told him I had the light on from 11am till about 10 - 11 pm.

ahoDMV said:
I was also suggested to only leave my light on for about 5 hours max. Is that advice right?

I told him how I have a hair algae problem and I told him I had the light on from 11am till about 10 - 11 pm.

The light will help it grow but u need to figure out why u have it to get rid of it. How much are you feeding. I know u just got the fish. Over feeding can cause Algae to grow. It needs nutrients to grow and spread so usually there is a reason it there ie extra nutrients. As far as the drip no u don't need a heater. I'm a noob to so just reiterating what I have learned. The floating the bag is to get the water temp the same. But more in saltwater u have other parameters to get the fish to like ph. I take a bucket that my kids had for the beach. Cleaned it good and poor the bag from the lfs into the bucket. Then I take the airline tubing and tie a loose knot in the middle. Put one end in the tank and suck on the other end to get the water to flow into the hose. Then let the end drip into the bucket. U can control the drip speed by tightening the knot u made. A drip or two a sec is what I do. Then I wait for the water in the bucket the fish is in to double. It usually take 30 min plus. Now the fish is slowly getting use to the water he will live in. Temp and all. Sorry this is long lol

I think I have the hair algae under control. And I ended up finding this piece my dad ended up not using for his tank for the drip acclimation.

I will try the drip acclimation when I buy coral.

Here is a before and after picture of the hair algae.

Attachments

• image-1216087316.jpg
    image-1216087316.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 119
  • image-2578809775.jpg
    image-2578809775.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 128
  • image-90386921.jpg
    image-90386921.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 143
Nice acclimation kit, and the hair algae is def under control. Good job man.

Thanks jmk!

Can't wait to add corals.

Still need some cuc since majority of them died.

Still need to figure out why they aren't surviving.

Hm. Might have a sick goby. His coat seems to be falling off.

Just checked parameters:

Everything seems the same but the ph went up to 8.2.

Salinity was at about 1.026

Attachments

• image-4112508349.jpg
    image-4112508349.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 119
Back
Top Bottom