Newbie needs goldfish advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsygirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello out there
Let me start from the beginning. Last week my daughter won 2 goldfish at a carnival. The first mistake i made was buying a fish bowl. That lasted a day. I went out the next day and made mistake number 2 and bought a 10 gallon tank kit - the sales person told me to get a 5 gallon. Since setting up the tank I've had to do at least a 20 to 30% water change pretty much every day or every other day because it's gets so cloudy. Yesterday I did a more than 50% change only to wake up today to more cloudy water. Did another 20% change. After doing some research which should have been done in the beginning I see that goldfish need as much space as possible. So what I need to know is what is the absolute bare boned minimum I can do for these 2 fish. I really only have room for MAYBE a 40 gallon tank and that's really pushing my space limit. When I am able to get the tank will this allow me to only change the water weekly, bi-weekly or even monthly? The two fish I have from what I can tell are a common and a comet. I am going today to at least buy a stronger filter until I can get the tank and equipment. Please any advice is welcome! I can not keep going and buying new equipment every week. Oh, I have on the tank a seachem Ph and one seachem Ammonia alert monitor, also a sticky thermometer. I am trusting the thermometer but not so much on the monitors, the ammonia is reading in the yellow safe zone and the Ph is at about 7.5-7.8. Temp is 72. Also, have an airstone.

If they're regular fancies, and it's hard to tell with the carnival fish, a 40 gallon will work, but if it looks like they're getting too big (like some comets will) they may need a closed off garden pond. Generally you can find someone who will take them and put them in with koi if they get to that point.

The general rule for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for the first, 10 for each one after, as far as I'm aware. Hope this helps, I'm sure someone else has more experience than me.

Gypsygirl said:
Hello out there
Let me start from the beginning. Last week my daughter won 2 goldfish at a carnival. The first mistake i made was buying a fish bowl. That lasted a day. I went out the next day and made mistake number 2 and bought a 10 gallon tank kit - the sales person told me to get a 5 gallon. Since setting up the tank I've had to do at least a 20 to 30% water change pretty much every day or every other day because it's gets so cloudy. Yesterday I did a more than 50% change only to wake up today to more cloudy water. Did another 20% change. After doing some research which should have been done in the beginning I see that goldfish need as much space as possible. So what I need to know is what is the absolute bare boned minimum I can do for these 2 fish. I really only have room for MAYBE a 40 gallon tank and that's really pushing my space limit. When I am able to get the tank will this allow me to only change the water weekly, bi-weekly or even monthly? The two fish I have from what I can tell are a common and a comet. I am going today to at least buy a stronger filter until I can get the tank and equipment. Please any advice is welcome! I can not keep going and buying new equipment every week. Oh, I have on the tank a seachem Ph and one seachem Ammonia alert monitor, also a sticky thermometer. I am trusting the thermometer but not so much on the monitors, the ammonia is reading in the yellow safe zone and the Ph is at about 7.5-7.8. Temp is 72. Also, have an airstone.

Also your tank is going through its cycling phase which can also cause some cloudy water, I have 2 doing it right now. The fact you are doing the frequent water changes is a VERY good thing. I would suggest you purchase an API Master Test Kit which will give you better readings regarding your ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes, & PH. Having accurate readings will help you better determine when a water change needs to be done. I'm no Gold fish expert so others will give advice on their needs, but everything I have seen on here is as the other poster stated. If you determine the measurements of the space you're planning to put your aquarium you may be able to find a larger volumed one than you think, sometimes the footprint for say a 46 bow front is the same as or close to a smaller volumed tank. Once you're able to house them properly you'll enjoy watching them thrive. This forum is EXCELLENT for good advice do not be afraid to ask questions.

Hi! Unfortunately, carnival goldfish are common goldfish which can potentially grow 12-18inches and need huge amounts of water & space. The best recommendation that I can offer is to rehome them to a happy pond. If you would like to have fish, there are a variety of tropicals that can be housed in a 10g. If you would like to have goldfish, fancy (doubletail) goldfish do not grow quite as large and a 40g can happily house 2 (3 if you stay on top of your water changes).

Your doing a great job so far with changing the water daily- this is a must! Ill post a link on fish-in cycling (what you are presently doing) with some more information. Unfortunately, there isnt any type fish that you will be able to keep that do not require water changes. Once your tank is cycled, they still need to be performed on a weekly basis. Please read the links below & ask any questions you may have! :)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Back
Top Bottom