Newbie needs some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Build My Led fixtures also. They are specifically designed for planted tanks and you can get a dimmer attachment which allows you to use 10% to 100% light levels. You can also decide on what angle beam you want. If you have questions you can call and talk to them as they are really nice about helping people with questions. Along with my Aquatic Life metal halide & T5HO fixture I use one of these Led fixtures on the very front of my tank which is dimmer as the light from the big fixture doesn't throw good light that far. I got the 75% beam angle and have the dimmer. Freshwater - Build My LED, LLC

They seem pretty reasonable. I still don't understand what all the "k" numbers mean as far as strength of light and the beam angle and what that would do. Sorry, like I said.. I'm clueless when it comes to planted lighting

It's the color temperature of the light...natural sunlight is around 6000K...the lower the K, the more red the light, the higher the K, more blue. Many people run 6000K to 6700K for planted tanks. I like bulbs with more red as they not only make my non green plants look better but the plants color up better IMO with more red light. Also the lower the K rating the dimmer the light appears to the human eye. Mind you this is a very simplified explanation.

36 in. T5 fish tank lighting made by current u.s.a in good working condition all 4 bulbs are 3weeks old.each unit has 2 54w bulbs 420/10k.these lights are plenty of light for saltwater corals or fish only.

Rivercats, I was wondering if maybe this would work? Found this on CL. The guy has 2 36" for $50

36 in. T5 fish tank lighting made by current u.s.a in good working condition all 4 bulbs are 3weeks old.each unit has 2 54w bulbs 420/10k.these lights are plenty of light for saltwater corals or fish only.

Rivercats, I was wondering if maybe this would work? Found this on CL. The guy has 2 36" for $50

Those bulbs won't work in planted tanks. And my only problem with buying lights on CL is that you have to take the person's word that the information listed is the truth. I'm sure it's a good deal but IMO not for a planted tank.

Ok thanks, still searching for good lighting at a decent price. But about to add some Eco complete substrait and start it cycling.

Back
Top Bottom