Newbie question - cycling SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh did wanna ask something since my sump has a filter sock in it should I worry bout changing it during the cycle or shouldn't be a problem till after cycle is done or after fish? N do u guys recomend using filter socks or is it better to go without it I read mix reviews on using them?

Jj49er said:
Well thank u convict.... I did take ur advice and added the two raw shrimp yesterday in the mesh bag... So I'm hoping my cycle starts soon... So this time I will be goin the shrimp smelly way lol, like I said I really appreciate ur advice as I'm newbie to salt water n I'm sure I will have many more questions reason I joined the forum to get the much needed advice once again thanks

Your very welcome. With 2 shrimp you'll see ammonia in no time.

Add some smart start. I have 4 tanks, and never had one crash. It will throw your parameters off a little, but it gets the bacteria you need going. But one thing, I did more than one bottle. It says to use one, but since it can only benefit your tank I used more. And please don't buy fish to cycle tanks! It's mean! Especially if you don't plan on keeping them. I cycled mine with 2 damsels and 2 chromis, still have them till this day.

Yeah dont want damsels so didnt wanna cycle with fish, but thanks for advice safe start is it like live bacteria?

I used pure ammonia which I added several times (and it didn't stink :D) to cycle my tank. Smart start is pretty much just bacteria in a bottle. You don't need to get it though, once again the shrimp will work just fine! Cycling definitely tests your patience. It's really hard to stare at an empty tank for a while :lol: Plus the constant asking from friends or family of "so when are you getting fish?" The filter sock shouldn't be a problem, so don't change it. Might have bacteria in it or something. I didn't use mine during the cycle and everything turned out fine. I have a felt filter sock and it gets dirty quite fast, so I put it in the washing machine once a week or 2 (pre-rinse, then no detergent). It can be a pain, but man does it do a great job at making the tank crystal clear! I read that the mesh socks are easier to clean and don't get clogged really, but aren't quite as good as felt.

Thanks for advice.... Yeah cycle time is patience I can tell turning on lights n all but it seems awesome so I can only imagine once I'm able to add fish it be amazing.... Ok then I will just wait for the shrimp to rot, lol well hope the smell not too bad as ppl say but I can tell my shrimp already turned pink... So hope things go good n thank u for advice

After the cycle I should wash the sock? Or take it out now n wait for cycle to complete then adding it once the clean up crew show up

i agree on the damsels.they are to fast and the nastiest fish on earth lol.i had five different ones and they were all killers

Yeah I heard they killers thus dont want super aggressive fish

Jj49er said:
Oh so a clean up crew will cycle it as well? Trying not to add damsels heard it hard to get em out of tank after u done cycling if u don't plan to keep em

Getting damsels out isn't any different then getting any other fish out. The trick is a 2 net system!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom