Newbie question on filtration and other stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jack Jeckel said:
Oscars are easy fish to maintain if they survive the first two weeks theyre probably not going to die it's some times expensive to maintain because they have a natural habit of getting your tank dirty in a week other than that they are one of my favorites if not ready for oscars try green terrors they have really cool colors or blood parrot or Texas cichlids these are all bigger than assorted Africans cichlids and more aggressive I think

I think I will go with something less aggressive, I want start off on the right track. Tank maintenance is not a big thing as I'm kinda obsessive about that anyway. I just want to do right for the fish I'm going to keep. My first thoughts was always about well being rather than solely the look and appeal, my goal would be to create a balance habitat like you have going on.

Bosco72 said:
I stuck with the gravel filters regardless of people's opinions here, they seem to really make sense. But I see what the cons could be. And im keeping them to find out for myself, purely to gain the experience and not to go against all the great advice I'm getting here. I also went with a really good in tank filter with a full length spray bar. It can shift 1200 liters an hour, so hopefully I'm covered.

Wow that sounds like a lot of stock for 75 gallons? I had the impression that would cover maybe two 1/2" fish? So do you think I would get one tiger oscar in my 30 gallon with the view to upgrade? This is why I was asking about how fast do they grow. I'd never seen one until the other day, very beautiful indeed. Then I did some reading, amazing predators!

They grow fast. It will most likely become stunted by the time you regime it. Now the speed that a fish grows at is different for each person. Water quality, diet, and tank mates all impact it. Otherwise we couldnt have our grow out competitions my LAC.
Also just because one person has it work doesn't mean it will all the time as well. Each fish has it on personality.

Jack Jeckel said:
Gravel filters are nice but you can never over filter I have two 70 gal filters on my 75 gal tank needless to say I have very good clear water if are getting plants watch what fish you get and avoid natural sunlight to avoid algea blooms and don't take everybodys advice on tank mates I have two royal blue lobsters three oscars a silver arrowanna and two green terrors in my 75 gal and these are supposed to be noncompatable fish so best to learn from trial an error unless your dropping big money on a single fish

Why can't you over filter??? I did with mine....I had a power head rated at 235gph, and hob ac 30 filter rated at 160gph and my ehiem canister classic 2213. The tank was 35g by the way.

Also just because your stock is working this time, doesn't mean it will all the time. Each fish has it own personality so if you put a different Oscar in it maybe the new one will cause some terror.

Hobgob said:
Why can't you over filter??? I did with mine....I had a power head rated at 235gph, and hob ac 30 filter rated at 160gph and my ehiem canister classic 2213. The tank was 35g by the way.

Also just because your stock is working this time, doesn't mean it will all the time. Each fish has it own personality so if you put a different Oscar in it maybe the new one will cause some terror.

What is the outcome of over filtering?

I don't know. Apparently you can't... But it allows you to deal with more waste and creates a greater circulation. It will not however lower your nitrates seeing as it is the amount of waste left over and it will always be the same unless changes in stock or feeding schedule are made...

I dont see anything wrong with over-filtering as long as you dont have a current so strong your fish cant swim or the substate is flying around or they are being sucked up the intake. This may be a bit too much! Common sense applies here. Goldfish, for example, need heavy filtration because they are so messy- 10x the tank size minimum. Just my opinion on filtration issues & everyones circumstances are bit different depending on their specific stock. :)

I no what you mean but jeckel said you can't with a ugf... I don't see why... But I agree with what you said

I no what you mean but jeckel said you can't with a ugf... I don't see why... But I agree with what you said

I dont see why either. I ran a ugf with 2 huge hobs & 2 powerheads but it just became a nightmare I never care to relive. Life is much easier without it. :)

Yup I have to do a water change today do I am excited to see what my nitrates are at. They were a lot lower last week compared to my ugf set up.

Jack Jeckel said:
Oscars are easy fish to maintain if they survive the first two weeks theyre probably not going to die it's some times expensive to maintain because they have a natural habit of getting your tank dirty in a week
If any fish dies in the first 2 weeks after being introduced it's normally bad stock or you tank isn't cycled. Also weekly cleaning isn't that bad seeing as you are suppose to do weekly water changes and I myself always did a gravel vac at the same time. Now that I have sand it's a little hard to do the gravel vac. Also no much waste is left on the sand. My filter set up keeps it stirred up until it gets sucked in one of the inlet tubes.

Help, sorry it seems like I'm not replying to any messages but I am but the app I'm using seems broken? I use iPhone an iPad any ideas?

Did you post a question in the tech area? I am technically-challenged so I am not going to be of any help here! :)

I will post there, also there has been an update today so I will see if that fixes a few bugs.

Another question, when I'm treating for chlorine do I do it for the amount I'm changing or the volume of the tank? I have read conflicting methods. If you have initially treated the whole tank then surely the remaining water is already treated? Maybe I have sneered my own question?

I cant help you will the tetras (im sure someone will though!). When doing water changes, its recommended that you either dose for your tank size & refill (if using python-type water changer) or you can dose per bucket as you refill. :)

My plants are having baby plants? Should I just leave them or take them out?

Thats great! Leave them be- they will grow into new plants! If they start taking over your tank, then you can trim them. :)

Is that a good thing? I guess the plants like my tank. I need to get some fish in there at some point :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom