Newbie question on filtration and other stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosco72

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I'm new to this and I'm setting up a 30 gallon habitat. I'm looking for all the advice I can get my hands on.

I have under gravel filters at the moment, but was looking to add additional filtering. But I'm not sure if I even need it?

The tank has nothing in it apart from under gravel filters, gravel, heater, and water (ph 7 at the moment).

I have only ever kept small (6/7 gallons) cold tanks, goldfish, fantails, dragon eyes, which are quite easy to maintain.

I am planning live planting, which i have never done. this will take some time and thought before I commit. The java fern has been popping up as a good starting point?

Also I would like to have schooling fish in there, but again I'm not sure of what and the amount.

I plan to document this from start to completion, and have started taking images and video of the whole process.

Any advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Idk if you have done this in your smaller tanks but from being on here I have learned the 1st step after having the tank and all is to cycle your tank. I'm doing it now with my 20 gallon. I am going to have a school of cherry barbs which I'm very excited about! Good luck with everything!

HI and welcome. There's a link below in my signature called: guide to starting a freshwater aquarium. It covers a lot of what you're asking about. Give it a read and then if you have any further questions let us know!

If you are not familiar with UGFs (underground filters), you may need to reconsider your filter options here. UGFs & planted tanks do not mix well. The roots will grow into the plates (if they grow at all) & UGF will not longer be functional for water flow. Your plants will suffer regardless. The amount of debris that will accumulate under the plates will eventually wind up being a very difficult situation to deal with as well- there is no easy way to clean underneath the plates without ripping your tank apart. There are alot of filter options available that would be more functional for a planted tank. Just something to think about! :)

Thanks for the advice, I will read your link, I kind of know the direction I'm going. I have done quite a lot of reading over the past few months. I have a several more weeks kitting out the tank then I will start cycling.

I'm thinking about a mixed filter tank (internal also), I have seen ugf's being used with no adverse problems? I have read the cons but it is a natural way of filtering. Also I have no space for a hob.

I was thinking of background plants, but potted?

Cheers for all the advice, it's all welcome, please keep it coming.

Ugf's are a means for biological filtration. But, from personal experience, i would not recommend them to anyone. There isnt way to clean underneath the plates where dirt, debris, & poop get sucked under. This filth just continues to accumulate until water is no longer able to flow through them and/or ammonia spikes result from the debris. Perhaps, with a few small fish this may work for awhile but, ultimately, problems will surface. A few potted plants may work short-term but there will be dead spots underneath them & they will need to be continually repotted into larger pots thus creating larger dead areas. Just trying to save you from the hassle i experienced using these! :)

Thanks for the advice, my plan is to remove the ugf's and go with an in tank filter, which has been ordered.

Any thoughts on uv?

UV is not commonly used in fw water tanks. Its something you probably wont need unless you encounter an unstoppable algae issue that can not be remedied through regular water maintence. I wouldnt be too concerned with using it right now. :)

Cheers, I will update with my progress, master test kit has been ordered, as has my bog wood centre piece, which I believe needs to be soaked for around two weeks?

Some people soak their real wood for lengthy periods of time to release tannins (so you dont see a ph drop from them) others boil the wood (faster). A course of boiling or some other means of disinfection is probably a good idea in general just to make sure there are no nasties that may have hitched a ride. :)

Boiling is a good way to ready DW.

If you have a pot big enough just set it on the stove and gradually bring it to a simmer.

Changing the water every hour or so you can see the deep tea colour of the tannins, a few hours of this will leach a lot of the major staining out of the wood.

If its a heavy wood it should sink by itself, if it doesn't you can always attach it to rock with either rust proof screws or I prefer the cotton twine/fishing line method.

The cotton will degrade by itself after the wood can sink itself, the fish line needs to be removed.

Hope that helps, doubt it but who knows? Lol

Reactions: jlk
The bog wood that I have ordered is 39cm long, the biggest pan/pot is about 28cm deep, I could do one end and switch? Is there any adverse smells involved in this process?

Yea you can do it that way, that's how I did mine.

As for the smells I don't know, I was always told not to smell strange liquids when I was a mechanic so I'd avoid smelling it lol.

Sound advice, :) I will have to do it in my kitchen so I just wanted to know if opening a window might be in order to avoid any complaints from the family. :(

Bosco72 said:
Sound advice, :) I will have to do it in my kitchen so I just wanted to know if opening a window might be in order to avoid any complaints from the family. :(

Hmm I guess it couldn't hurt?

I mean it's better than risking it, just make sure you keep an eye on it, the bottom of the pan can char and burn wood that's left unattended!

Could I put something at the bottom like stones to prevent burning?

Ok, I will keep posting my progress or lack of

I am looking at syphons/gravel cleaners, is there any I should be preferring?

Back
Top Bottom