Newbie Requiring Advice [emoji1374]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lysha Jayne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Soooo, I’m all new to the fish world.. Always loved & wanted them and finally took the plunge .. So I want to learn as much as I can before I go bigger & better [emoji1377]

So I had 4 platies in 17l tank, was originally advised this was okay. 1 of my platies was heavily pregnant when I got her, ive had them a week & she had her babies a 2 days later.. Was totally unprepared & most got ate [emoji31]I have a couple survivors hiding in live plants that I rushed out to get because I read there good for them to hide & for the tank itself [emoji1374]

Yesterday I found the Mummy dead at the bottom of the tank [emoji31]??*♀️She was very still and quiet for a couple days as well, I had noticed a mark on her side.. So I wondered if maybe she was attacked by the other fish when she was in labour .. Assuming seen as they ate the majority of the fry.

So today I went to a pet shop for advice the guy was fab, much better then where I purchased the fish from ... I’ve now learned that I’m probably killing all my fish because I didn’t cycle the water for 3 weeks first before adding any fish ??*♀️The fella gave me some stones to put in my filter with bacteria on for the ammonia , he said my ammonia levels will just get higher .. My PH levels perfect though.

I also got a Danio today & since one of my female platies keeps hiding and has like a clenched back fin .. She’s eating though, and has the odd swim but then goes back hiding... Is she okay? Could she just be scared of the new addition? I’m scared I’m gonna lose another [emoji174]

Sorry for the ramble I felt like I had to explain everything [emoji23]Thanks in advance, any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

:welcome:

Don't worry, we've all had rough patches in our time in the hobby -- still do, too. :whistle:

You're going through what's called a "fish-in" cycle, wherein your filter (what kind of filter do you have?) is growing the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites and then to nitrates. It can be stressful on the fish, as you've seen, but it can be done. Take a moment and read about it here:

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

I would also recommend three things in the meantime: buy some dechlorinator (Seachem's "Prime" is what I prefer) and add double the recommended dosage to your tank. This will give your fish some temporary relief from the ammonia.

Next remove three gallons of water from your tank and add 3 gallons of tap water to which you've added some dechlorinator (again, I use Prime). Make sure the temperature of the tap water is close to the tank's temp, too. Fish are cold-blooded creatures and don't handle sudden temperature changes well. Doing this will cut the ammonia in your tank in half. You may have to do that every day until the ammonia in your tank reads under 1.0.

Third, buy test kits or strips for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I like either API liquid tests or Tetra test strips. You need to be able to test for all three to get a handle on your water. Do not add more fish until your tank reads zero ammonia and nitrite for a week: the goal is for ammonia and nitrite to be converted to nitrate in 24 hours. (To be honest, your tank is ~5 US gallons. I'd say it's full with 4-5 platys.)

So: do the water changes, read the article and follow its advice, get some test kits, and don't add more fish for a while. You may lose more fish before the tank is cycled, but at least it will be ready for new inhabitants.

And don't feel bad! We were all beginners, once. (y)

Let us know how it goes!

Thank you so much for the reply, I purchased some dechlorinator today .. I didn’t even know I needed it until today & after my research .. I done a 30% water change yesterday & done a 50% today because of the ammonia to help quicker the cycle (that I didn’t know I needed to do) .. I feel a bit more confident I know more now.. I just need to get to grips with the ammonia issue .. That’s the only thing I don’t have testing strips for either .. I’m going to order some, thank you for the suggestion !! [emoji1360]

Oh and the filter I honestly have no idea what kind it is... It came with the tank when I bought it, it’s only a small one though [emoji848]??*♀️

Back
Top Bottom