Newbie with 300g FO tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baby_g

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Firstly, this forum's been extremely informative thanks to all the wonderful people on here. I've got a couple of tank-specific questions so any input would be great. Thanks in advance!

The 300g fish only tank came with the house, and for the past year or so we've had a professional maintain the tank bi-weekly. I've recently taken matters into my own hands after we lost a large (7") unicorn tang and a medium (3") yellow tang due to "unknown reasons" which, after a quick google search, turned out to be marine ich.

We currently have the following:
Lunar Wrasse 6" x 1
Tomato Clown 3.5" x 1
Yellow Tang 3" x 1
Yellowtail blue Damsel 1.5" x 4
Green Chromis 1-1.5" x 6

With the exception of the chromis which I added last week, the rest were brought in by the maintenance guy. The damsels were quite aggressive towards the chromis at first, fortunately the yellow tang acts as a guardian and blocks off the pesty damsels. The tomato clown and yellow tang are quite mellow and passive, with the wrasse being the dominant fish in the tank. I'd like to add some more fish to liven up the overly spacious tank.. thought about taking out the damsels to ease the job but that's nearly impossible in a tank this size...

Anyway, I have a friend whose Stars & Stripes puffer has grown too big (9") for his tank. It has great personality and would fill up the tank quite well but would the S&S puffer devour the smaller fish (chromis, damsels)?

Or should I stick with more hardy mainstream fish (e.g. hippo tang or naso tang, fire goby, royal dottyback, cleaner shrimp)? Any other suggestions?

I did realize after adding the chromis that docile fish shouldn't be added after relatively aggressive fish, but thankfully they've been able to work out territorial lines due to the tank size.

Again, clueless newbie in the process of learning! Thanks again for any advice or suggestions :)!

A puffer will eat any fish that can fit in his mouth. So you would be in danger of the little fish being eaten.

Thanks for the input! What other species would you suggest for a larger fish?

lovefishys said:
A puffer will eat any fish that can fit in his mouth. So you would be in danger of the little fish being eaten.

This is false. Most puffers do not naturally eat fish. There are a few that will but not many.Feeding puffers fish causes fatty liver disease and premature death in most cases.

I picked up a naso tang and 2 fire fish today. The LFS had a smaller 7" stars & stripes puffer that was more on the docile side according to the manager. The puffer wouldn't touch any of the feeder goldfish in his tank (for the other lionfish). Although it was extremely tempting, I decided to play it safe and stick with beginner level fish for now. I do hope to start another puffer tank in the future though!

Back
Top Bottom