Newbie with orange water Hi guys!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladystacy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393841552.634248.jpg
Totally new to this and bought my first tank! 64l tropical. I set it all up yesterday and this morning I have orange water... Please help?! :)

Is the driftwood new? It could be leaching colour into the water. When I added driftwood to my tank for the first time, it looked very much like weak tea. It's harmless to fish and some even like it because it replicates natural conditions. If it bothers you, changing the water enough will eventually clear it out. I added a black background and now I don't even notice it anymore.

Yeah it's new! Thank you I have taken it out to soak it in boiling water! I if I want to rid the orange water will I have to change it all or do it a bit at a time? Thanks x

If you've got no fish, you should be safe to change it all at once. Are you doing a fishless cycle?

Also I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, but that rock on the right looks like it could be limestone, which may raise your pH. If you want to know for sure, you can pour some vinegar on it. If it fizzes, it's limestone.

I should mention that I really like your layout and decor.

Brilliant thanks for your help! I have no fish at the moment focusing on getting the water right first :) So much to learn x

Or purigen. That wood can potentially leak tannins for a very long time. It's very beneficial for fish and welcome to AA!!!

Back
Top Bottom