The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jtuner119 said:
i'll look for the test kit online.

Yeah, it's cheaper that way. Til then you might consider having your lfs test your water for you (most will do it for free), but you need to get them to give you the actual numbers, not just a ” they're fine” haha
I just have a feeling that your nitrates will be really high.

what about water treatment? i do a 1/3 water change and clean the gravel atleast once a week. im only using stress coat on the new water that i put back. should i be treating the water with something else?

Jtuner119 said:
what about water treatment? i do a 1/3 water change and clean the gravel atleast once a week. im only using stress coat on the new water that i put back. should i be treating the water with something else?

You should be using Prime, its made by SeaChem. Its the best out there IMO, others on this forum would agree. It dechlorinates, detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours, ect. Its an all in one beast. Haha

update on the pleco. i can not find it anywhere. i am going to assume it has been eaten.

Jtuner119 said:
update on the pleco. i can not find it anywhere. i am going to assume it has been eaten.

I know my pleco's love the oddest spots: behind filers, heaters, under rocks, underneath the filter bottom. My Plecos often feed at night, so I dont see mine during the day much, but I take a red light to find an eye reflection at night if I haven't seen them recently. You might just have a shy one :)

im guessing the oscar or the dempsey might have eaten it. the dempsey is the biggest one in the tank but i dont think it ate the pleco. all the fish i have are still young. but i've searched everywhere inside the tank. its not in there.

Jtuner119 said:
im guessing the oscar or the dempsey might have eaten it. the dempsey is the biggest one in the tank but i dont think it ate the pleco. all the fish i have are still young. but i've searched everywhere inside the tank. its not in there.

Well I hope that's not the case. Most fish ignore plecos, but you never know. I have three albino brislednose plecos and they are very hard to find in river rock or white gravel. :)
By the way welcome to AA! A little late , better late than never :)

I used to keep oscars(2) and one pleco. Long story short the oscars ate the pleco. I had them in a 65gal and only the three of them. That was my first lesson in overstocking and also in cichlid aggression. I hope your pleco hasn't met the same fate. If you do plan on keeping all of the fish, may I strongly suggest getting a couple of free tanks and keeping them in smaller groups?(even individually)
Trust me I know it's more work but in the long run you'll have happier and healthier fish for it. (not trying to lecture only share one of my experiences with the same sort of situation) best of luck! And let us know if you do find the pleco :)

If you haven't bought your test kit yet, it would be worth calling around for prices. I just bought mine, an api, at a local fish store, for $21.95. I was pretty excited, that's a good price.

I'm going to order the test kit and the seachem prime on amazon. thats the lowest price I've found. As for the Pleco, no where to be found. Due to recommendations, I'm not getting another one. I am interested in changing the decorations in the tank. Can I keep the fish in the tank or should I take them out?

You'll find you get varied advice on that question too:)
I leave mine in, even for major remodeling. I just work on one side of the tank at a time, so the fish can stay on the other side.

maybe i will. its gonna get bigger eventually. i just dont want a dead pleco in there somewhere

Jtuner119 said:
maybe i will. its gonna get bigger eventually. i just dont want a dead pleco in there somewhere

Well, I hope you do find it. Good luck!

When I redecorate, if it's just changing things up slightly, I leave them in. My parrot and dragon fish will rub up against my hand looking for "pets." If I'm over hauling the tank completely I take them out so I don't stress them out. Plus it's like claim your area all over again when I add them back in. Each person and every set up you'll find is different. I think you'll have to find out what works best for you and your fish. Any signs of your pleco yet??

no signs of the pleco. i decided to get some feeders and some crickets and i ended up bringing home a bristlenose pleco. i know some of you are going to be upset. im sorry.

Jtuner119 said:
no signs of the pleco. i decided to get some feeders and some crickets and i ended up bringing home a bristlenose pleco. i know some of you are going to be upset. im sorry.

Well, at least they don't get as big, a max of 5 inches. What color is it? I hope this one won't get eaten too. :-( Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom