Newly cycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfisher

Aquarium Advice Activist
After six weeks my 16 gal. Freshwater with fish tank is cycled. The parameters are ammonia and Nitrites 0. My concern is my Nitrates. There is barely a trace at 5.0 ppm. They were at 40 and my Nitrates were very high at one point. I PWC them down. Did I kill the good stuff. That seems sorta low. question two...how long before I can add new fish like an Ottocat. I presently have three Neon a tetras, three Zebra Danios, and One Hi-Fin Platy. how many more can I add. I had one Platy but she died three days after we brought her home. My Platy is lonely...she schools with the Danios.

On my previous thread, I had a number of typos. The parameters of the water were ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5.0 ppm. Nitrates had been 40ppm and Nitrites were all the way up the color chart, and ammonia was.25. I PWC down to cycled conditions, where it has been for three days. My concern is the low reading of the Nitrates.

Doing PWCs is not going to harm your bacteria as the majority of it lives on your filter media and your substrate/tank ornaments. Do you have plants in your tank? That can help lower nitrates.

A 16 gal tank is not very large, so don't go over board with your fish stocking. I would recommend adding a few more neons so they have more fish shoal with. I'd hold off on the ottos..they do best in a well established planted tank.

I have artificial plants in my tank. I thought I needed a bottom feeder to eat the algae ( though I don' t see much). Could I add another Platy? Is the level of Nitrates OK or can I build it up. The LFS had me wash the media in tank water because my filter was blocked. Is that the culprit to low readings? Had to be done. Filter was not working.

Don't worry about the low nitrates...It's a good thing for them to be <20ppm if you don't have a planted tank. I'd be more worried about high nitrates. Your nitrate level will increase as the time between your PWCs increases.

Neons are tiny and have a relatively small impact on your bioload compared to some of the bigger fish out there. Maybe someone else will chime in, but I would think it would be ok to get another female platy and 3-4 more neons.

The only "bottom feeders" I have in my tanks are nerite snails and shrimp. Nerites are great because their eggs will not hatch w/o brackish water so they can not reproduce and over run your tank like some snails can. Small shrimp like RCS are terrific because they have a very small impact on your bioload but are great alage eaters.

Thanks for the advice all. I did wash in tank water but that still probably removed some good bacteria. The shrimp you are referring to are Ghost Shrimp right? I think that is what I will get. Maybe 2 of them? Plus the Platy, a tetra, and a danio? Two of my existing tetras shun and fight the other tetra and and the same with the danios. I thought if I evened things out there would be less bullying and fighting.

I have zebra danios and I have *never* seen them school together in a shoaling type fashion. My Rose danios shoal most of the day, however the zebras do not. Zebras are VERY busy little fish and spend their day exploring. I know many consider them to be upper to mid dwellers in a tank, but mine can be found all over..usually foraging for food and chasing each other. Honestly, I'd be more concerned with adding more neons (to add to their level of comfortablity) then I would be worried about adding more zebras. RCS= Red cherry shrimp. Ghosts are pretty small though too.

Hi there,
When I started my tank, I put 3 leopard danios, they were my first fish and one of them was bullying the other two, chasing them away especially during meals. She was merciless! Then I added 3 zebra danios and the mean behavior stopped right away.
Later I had to return one (he seemed too stressed and I was afraid he'd die), so now I have 5 danios and they're still happy - no agression.
Like Coleallensmom said, they swim all around the tank, chasing each other or searching for food, but they rarely shoal.

Hi Guys,
I just added four new Neon Tetras to my tanks of 3 Neons, and a new Platy to join my other Platy. The Neons joined the others immediately like old friends but the Platy is terrified. Patty, my original Platy, was so excited when the new one joined the tank. She keeps nudging the new one. She does not seem at all aggressive...just friendly...but the new Platy seems terrified. I am new at this and do not have a hospital tank. My husband does not want me spending a lot of money on this; though I have already. I have an extra very large fish bowl but no tank. My point is that I have no way to isolate her. Will she acclimate eventually? How can I keep Patty away from her? Originally we had another Platy that she was used to being around so that explains her fishy joy to see another friend.

Great to hear that about the neons...your "old" neons should be happier now to have more shoaling buddies. :) Give the new platy some time to get used to her new suroundings...she should be fine!

Coleallensmom...thanks so much. Just checked on the new Platy (her name is Penny)...yeah I know, I'm pathetic. She is doing better. I gave her a few flakes, which she ate very nicely. Sorry to be such a worrier. I just want my fishes happy!

Good advice from Alisha.

As for the shrimp, you talked about adding 2 ghost shrimp... you could add several more than that if you want. RCS/ghost shrimp/many other fw species of shrimp have almost no impact on bioload. I have probably around 30 RCS in a 5 gal tank (it is heavily planted, so you are lucky to see 3 or 4 at a time).

fort384...thanks for your reply. The store was out of RCS and Ghost Shrimp. They will have more on Weds. How many would you suggest? My plants are artificial. Does that matter? You all have been helpful and encouraging. Thanks so much!

Go for the rcs. They are more interesting to look at and will breed in your tank. I would start with 8-10.

Just came home the proud owner of eight Red Cherry Shrimp. Some are quite large in size. They are really neat. Once in a while I catch sight of one of the larger ones. They are busy little critters. I am so glad you all suggested them!!

Joy...Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom