Next to Sump...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would it be possible, or even advisable, to place a sump next to a DT? I don't really want to drill through my new cabinets to put a sump in the traditional location under the tank and am hoping a sump placed next to the DT would be a viable alternative. I am not really concerned about the asthetic aspects so much as the biological filtration advantages of a sump. Feedback would be much appreciated!!!

sure why not place it above the main tank with it over flowing into the tank, if you add a refugium its probably better since it won't chop up and kill 95% of the critters through the return pump.

you would basically have the same concept as a HOB refugium and filter only larger

Sorry for the lack of response, I have been rather busy at work and have been preoccupied at home. I don't have a traditional tank stand for my tank. I built some cabinets from Home Depot and have toped them with a long piece of 3/4" thick oak plywood that has been sanded and painted. It has no holes leading under the counter top and I don't really want to drill them because the whole process of finishing and installing the counter top was a pain in the ***. I was hoping to place a sump/refugium next to my 29G tank a i had a HOB sump/refugium but was not pleased with the job it was doing. i am still using it until I figure something else out. I have been looking at a 15G sump/refugium. Will this be sufficient for a 29G tank?

Thanks Henry. My next question is the flow rate. I have been doing some reading, but I don't quite understand how flow rate works. Could someone please fill in the blanks for me based on my understanding. I am planning on using an overflow box and we will say the rate is 300gph. I assume I need to get a pump to push water back to the DT from the sump/refugium that has a flow rate of 300gph or better yes!?

if you're using a skimmer, it shouldn't be above your overflow box rate. If your overflow box rate is 300gph and your skimmer is 400gph, it'll eventually make the compartment lose water.

For the return pump, after head loss ( the decrease in power from pushing water up against gravity), it should be a little bit higher than your overflow box rate. This will guarantee you will not flood your sump. A ball value is placed on the return pipe to adjust the speed down or up.

head loss can usually be found with the pump manual

Ok, that was one of the areas I was confussed about, meaning the skimmer. Thank you for the advice Henry!

Back
Top Bottom