NH4 is 1.5ppm but NH3 is 0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my 10g quarantine tank running with no fish for about 2 months. I hadn't been keeping up with the ammonia to keep it cycled. It's been a week of dosing 4ppm pure ammonia daily, testing daily. Now, my Nitrites are 0, Nitrates are 160+, NH3 is 0, but NH4 is 1.5. PH is 6.2. My last water change I did 90% a week ago.

I use Prime when WC, temp is at 78, tests using API liquid, NH3 test using Seachem Ammonia Alert. I've tested with same results 3 times just now.

My cycle is working, and I know NH4 is less harmful, but is it ready for fish?

Sent from my mobile aquarium device

Last edited:
To start with, your pH is low - not good for nitrifying bacteria. The plus side to that is that the free (toxic) portion of the ammonia will be minimal - with your other parameters, free ammonia calculates out at 0.001 ppm, so nothing to worry about really.

Having done a water change, your ammonia has reduced as would be expected. You need to buffer he pH to 7 to give the bacteria a chance and (in my opinion) add some bottled bacteria - you may be surprised when it works... because it does!

I have posted my opinion on this 4ppm ammonia - it is way too high, unless you plan on overstocking with enough fish to produce that much ammonia. You can cycle a tank with half that amount and it will still take longer than it should if you don't add a culture of BB.

Back
Top Bottom