Nibbling on Fins or something else ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I am a bit confused. We purchased 3 mollies a few weeks ago (1 male, 2 female). Right away, the 2 females ganged up on the male and just about ate his tail away. I QT'd him for a few days just so he could get some relief. He's back in now and seems to be happy.

Today, though, I noticed on one of my three painted tetras, part of the tail fin is missing (every so slightly), and it's slightly white and it's FAT! Possibly PG? Not sure.

Is this related? Are just a coincidence? Do I have fin rot in my tank? I am also suspecting that one of the female mollies is PG too. So would meds be possible?

Also, I am new to this so recognizing some of the diseases is not very easy for me.

Sorry so many questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Coupla questions Fishy:

When you say fat...how fat? Are the scales kinda standing off the fish (sorta pine cone looking?). I worry, with the combo of missing fin, looking fat and losing color that pregnancy isn't the issue (actually more like egg-laden; tetras aren't live bearers).

If it is disease, I'd isolate the ones showing signs first; the others may be healthy enough to fight if off be themselves.

As for the PG molly, meds won't be great for the fry if the entire tank needs treatment; that being said, if she IS PG? Won't be the first time *grin*

Hi Alli,

How fat? Looking plump. All three were quite trim and suddenly this one is not. No scales sticking out. Not pine cone looking at all. The only other thing about the fish is that he/she is kind of keeping to herself at the back of the tank. At least she was at last look. BTW, how can you tell if a tetra is a male or female?

And I worded the one sentence wrong. The fish is not looking white. Where the tail fin looks nipped the edge is white. Sorry about that.

Am I just being paranoid? :oops:

I did successfully battle ich back in November (Thanks BTW ... used the heat method).

Ahhh ok. I don't think you're being paranoid at all!

I have a feeling the tetra is sick. Tetras don't isolate themselves unless something is wrong. That combined with the white edges on the fins says to me it is fin rot, possibly combined with something else. I'd suggest isolating it in a QT and trying some antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom