Nils 2.5G upgrade to 5.5G DP Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it did up the ammonia. Going to get the worms sometime either tomorrow or next weekend. Got some stuff from PetCo, a mini vacuum for the nano tank and a prefilter sponge. Got a gold nugget pleco in drip right now for the 16, PetCo had them for $3 because they mistakes them for bristle noses. Anyway that's all I got, pics of Randy ( the plec) once he's in the tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Finally got the worms! All set up in there container, hope I can keep the culture going this time! Also picked up 2 crowns of downoi, hope they grow in. How do I go about propagating downoi? The male puffer already are some black worms, he eats at last! Pics: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441571629.289800.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441571657.729577.jpg Awkward pic of both puffs ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441571726.997488.jpg And finally the worms. Yes, that brown mass are all worms lol.

Downoi can be propagated through side shoots that pop out. You can clip them after they have a good amount of leaves and allow to float until roots appear. I then shove into the substrate until only the main crown is showing. You can also do the same if your main stem of downoi grows too long. Just cut down and replant. New growing points will grow from the established plant. Hope this helps.

Cha boi Jessie.

Alright thanks! That helped. I hope it grows well, I love the look of it. Is $14 too much to pay for 2 heads of it? Lol that's what I paid, it was pretty pricey but if it grows well then the money was well spent. Honestly I probably could have gotten it on here cheaper but whatever, I need to learn to control my impulse buys :lol:

That's a lot for the downoi. If you can get a hold of the gelpacks, you will get more for less. Of course, it will take some time before they get to an appreciable size.
Trimming these tonight before the big game.
n5Hkp15.png

That's a lot for the downoi. If you can get a hold of the gelpacks, you will get more for less. Of course, it will take some time before they get to an appreciable size.
Trimming these tonight before the big game.
n5Hkp15.png

Well then, good to know I got ripped off :lol: No use crying over spilled milk.
Can't wait to get those plants, I've freed up some space in the 5.5 already. I'm sure the puffs can't wait either! :D

New 2.5 Gallon Build!

Dang I was selling downoi on here for a dollar a crown....

Cha boi Jessie.

Dang I was selling downoi on here for a dollar a crown....

Cha boi Jessie.

Holy cow, let me know next time you got some lol, lets me know to probably not buy plants for that much from the LFS. Finally a plant that most of the family likes :lol:

Well, finally did the move! Didn't take as long as I thought it would, but here it is! Still going to fill in spaces with the plants on Tuesday! And soon I'm making a trip to my favorite LFS and buying some crypts there. It's an amazing store! Feel free to give me thoughts or comments on this tank.

I see your location says you're in NC. What's the amazing store around here??? I can't find any!

I see your location says you're in NC. What's the amazing store around here??? I can't find any!

I meant the Seashell Pet Shop. Old store that's being run by a very nice old lady, and it has been with her for more than 30 years. Lots of nice plants, fish, reptiles, birds and anything you can think of really. The other store is Upscale Aquatics, pretty expensive and I'm not sure you want to drive all the way down from Raleigh for it lol. Same goes for Seashell, it's in downtown Mooresville.

The tank is doing good. Black worm culture is doing good, no dead ones that I can see and I am able to collect some every morning without depleting the culture. What makes me sad now is that I have the feeling I have 2 male puffers, not the 1 male and 1 female I thought I did. The newest puffer (apparently the female) is chasing the male into one half of the tank and then leaving him alone. I'll see if it gets any worse, and if it does then I will have enough space for a 10 gallon in my new room. Hopefully it doesn't get that bad though. Any, that's what's going on, nothing much to report on.

I meant the Seashell Pet Shop. Old store that's being run by a very nice old lady, and it has been with her for more than 30 years. Lots of nice plants, fish, reptiles, birds and anything you can think of really. The other store is Upscale Aquatics, pretty expensive and I'm not sure you want to drive all the way down from Raleigh for it lol. Same goes for Seashell, it's in downtown Mooresville.

The tank is doing good. Black worm culture is doing good, no dead ones that I can see and I am able to collect some every morning without depleting the culture. What makes me sad now is that I have the feeling I have 2 male puffers, not the 1 male and 1 female I thought I did. The newest puffer (apparently the female) is chasing the male into one half of the tank and then leaving him alone. I'll see if it gets any worse, and if it does then I will have enough space for a 10 gallon in my new room. Hopefully it doesn't get that bad though. Any, that's what's going on, nothing much to report on.

Oh wow that's much closer to the mountains. Yeah that's really far from here. There aren't many stores around here that are decent that's why I was wondering what I might be missing lol. Thanks.

Well, got 1 of my 2 plant packages today! 10 stems bacon carolinia, 4 stems pogo. erectus, and 7 stems pogo. quadrifolia and a couple pads of duckweed. Planted all of the carolinia in the 16, didn't have space in the 5.5 any more lol. Had to take out the sword that barely grew anyway in the 5.5 to make space for the pogo. Shrimp are already exploring and everyone is happy. More plants coming soon, mostly floaters though and a ton of MTS!

Got all the MTS and floaters today! Maybe 10 plants of salvinia minima, 4 heads of dwarf water lettuce and a ton of duckweed. Also got some subwassertang, a golf ball sized clump of it and went ahead and put it behind the baby tears. Some kind of moss too, just put it in the bottom too. That's mostly it, pics when I feel like taking some :lol:

Thanks TMRC! I would never do gravel again in any of my tanks, for me it doesn't look nice and too much debris gets stuck in it. I'm just using normal white sand from PetCo, but a nutrient packed substrate would be the best any day. I have about 10 root tabs in the substrate though so that probably helps. Lighting is Finnex Stingray clip light, I paid $22 on Amazon for it. Not too shabby. Ferts are nothing special, API Co2 Booster. 4 drops from a medicine dropper a day. That's it. I guess I have some natural sunlight, but not enough to cause algae to grow. Haven't seen your nano in a while, going to check it out now!

Back
Top Bottom