nippin butterflies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandarin man

Aquarium Advice Regular
will butterflies nip at all corals or only a certain few like mushroom and zoos, etc.? if only a certain few... what few?

IME they are not reef safe. They love to nip at polyps and fleshy corals. As with all fish your milage will vary. I know most online places say the are not reef safe. JME

Most of the time the long nose species are considered reef safe with caution. The other butterflies will surely feed on stony coral polyps and can nip at LPS as well.

I have a copper banded butterfly in my reef and he is a model citizen. He will even eat out of my hand.

about 6 months I guess...There is always a chance that any fish that is "with caution" reef safe to turn on corals. So far so good on my end.

Good for you Allen, mine lasted a little over 6 months, but I couldn't get him to eat prepared food. What do you feed him?

Congrats! Mine seemd to have an aiptasia/feather duster only diet.

You can semi-trick difficult feeders into eating prepared by smearing a food medley onto a dead coral skeleton (preferably of Genus they are used to feeding on). Eventually they will recognize the smell and food to where it can be fed without the skeleton. This is a much longer process in weaning, but has been accomplished. As with anything else, feeding a variety of foods and especially in quarantine is best in getting butterflys used to prepared. Oh yes, and depending on the butterfly it may feed on a mixture of algae, mobile invertebrates, and coral polyps or just dine or coral polyps. Most corralivores seem to consume the flesh of sps types.

Copperband would be fine in a 55g :)

I had one in my 55. I just had trouble getting mine to eat. Make sure your LFS feeds while you are there (I bought mine online). You have corals, so they may not be a good fit for your tank, they will much anemones and feather dusters.

Before you buy the CBB make your LFS feed the fish and see if it eats. If they are feeding it mysis and it is eating then make sure to get the exact same thing they are feeding it. That could help you out along the way. I got very lucky with mine. He is a pig and follows me thinking I'm going to feed him every time I walk to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom