nitrate filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is anyone using a NitrAte filter, or something like De-NitrAte in their canister for their fresh water aquariums?

If so is it worth it? Do you do less water changes? Do the filters or the filter media really help?

Just was wondering I know Aquaripure is a advertiser/sponsor for the forum but I'd like to get some un-bias opinions.

Thanks
Danny

Unless you have a serious issue with nitrates, it's not worth it. As much as we would all like to end WC's, there's more to it than just nitrate. Bacteria, algae, etc., water changes are imperative to maintain balance and overall water quality. IMO, don't waste your time. Just keep up with your WC's, I know it sucks lol.

Unless you have a serious issue with nitrates, it's not worth it. As much as we would all like to end WC's, there's more to it than just nitrate. Bacteria, algae, etc., water changes are imperative to maintain balance and overall water quality. IMO, don't waste your time. Just keep up with your WC's, I know it sucks lol.
Thanks, I kinda figured that anyway, I was just thinking if it worked it might be handy for vacation time if i want to take more than a week off.

I have auto feeders so feeding over an extended time is not a problem, but the weekly water change wouldn't happen, and I was wondering if the nitrate filters or media would help.

Certainly wouldn't hurt, but I never found that they worked for me. At least that I could notice anyway.

Cutting Down on Water Changes

Is anyone using a NitrAte filter, or something like De-NitrAte in their canister for their fresh water aquariums?

If so is it worth it? Do you do less water changes? Do the filters or the filter media really help?

Just was wondering I know Aquaripure is a advertiser/sponsor for the forum but I'd like to get some un-bias opinions.

Thanks
Danny

Hello jd...

You can reduce the frequency and volume of your water changes if you emerse the bare roots of the Aglaonema plant in the tank water. There are a number of other land plants that will naturally use the nitrogens the fish waste produces and will maintain pure water conditions. It's not hard to do and the more plants you introduce the purer the water. I have one tank that never requires a water change and the fish are healthy and reproduce regularly. Sometimes, too often.

I use the "Ag" plants in a couple of my 55 G tanks and do a relatively small water change about every two weeks. The water tests out at "0" for ammonia and nitrite and the nitrates are pretty constant at 10 to 20 ppm. I have standard aquarium plants in the tank too and a pretty heavy fish load, including a large number of Corydoras. The "little cats" are very sensitive to changes in water conditions, but I've noticed no water chemistry problems.

B

Hello jd...

You can reduce the frequency and volume of your water changes if you emerse the bare roots of the Aglaonema plant in the tank water. There are a number of other land plants that will naturally use the nitrogens the fish waste produces and will maintain pure water conditions. It's not hard to do and the more plants you introduce the purer the water. I have one tank that never requires a water change and the fish are healthy and reproduce regularly. Sometimes, too often.

I use the "Ag" plants in a couple of my 55 G tanks and do a relatively small water change about every two weeks. The water tests out at "0" for ammonia and nitrite and the nitrates are pretty constant at 10 to 20 ppm. I have standard aquarium plants in the tank too and a pretty heavy fish load, including a large number of Corydoras. The "little cats" are very sensitive to changes in water conditions, but I've noticed no water chemistry problems.

B

That's really interesting! Thanks for that info! How exactly do you suspend their roots in the tank? I'm assuming having a hood may be an issue.

Natural Nitrogen Reducers

Hello again Danny...

The plants will work in covered or uncovered tanks. In the covered tanks, you have to lower the water level, so the leaves are above the water. That's not an issue, especially if you prefer taller tanks. But, just about any tank will work. The roots have to be below the water with the leaves above.

For uncovered tanks you just have to use a plastic grate you can get at most online garden supply stores. You use them to hold the plants in the tank water. Hydroponics stores and many hardware and garden chain stores carry grates of different lengths and depths to fit a specific tank.

Pretty simple.

B

There's plenty of floating plants your can get as well to soak up nitrates. Wasn't sure if you wanted to go the plant route so I didn't mention it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom