Nitrate issue - plz help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmyjam923

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im having a Nitrate issue lately and I cant seem to get it under control. I had neglected my tank for several months and 2 weeks ago it tested at 80 to 120ppm. So I started a vigorous regiment of 25 to 30% water changes and vacuuming every other day testing every time but it only seems to lower it at best to about 40 to 60 ppm. Yesterday i did a 50% water change and after testing finally felt i had the nitrate under control as it was reading about 5ppm. I tested it tonight and its back up to about 80ppm. Im at a loss for why the nitrates would continue to spike like that so i tested my tap water and have about 5ppm in that so clearly thats going to be the best it can get.
Here are my tank stats:
75g set up since 2013
Driftwood, rocks and fake plants
4 inch featherfin cat
(2) 2 1/2 inch plecos
3 inch convict
11 inch leporinus
API canister filter. Xp M
Aqueon 75 HOB

Ammonia 0
Nitrite. 0
Nitrate 80 ppm
Algae bloom is present

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Try not to vacuum to much of the substrate. For now, keep up 50% water changes and try to keep it in the 40ppm range. Try cleaning only the very top layer of substrate (light vacuum) once a week. Only do a deep gravel vac a few times a year. When you do this, only deep vac 1/3 of the tank. The next week do another 1/3 and so on until it's cleaned entirely.

Back
Top Bottom