Nitrate On The RISE!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many people have experienced false readings when taking them less than 24 hours after doing a water change/adding dechlorinator.

My nitrates this morning as I said before were 80 ppm. I added 5 ml of API Tap Water Conditioner early this morning and now I just got a reading below 20 ppm. Any thoughts on this? The nitrate level came down so quickly!

To be sure I understand, you didn't do a water change, but just added conditioner?

I did a 50% water change yesterday and added 2 ml API water conditioner because nitrates were 80ppm. This morning the nitrate level was not much better, but below 80ppm..nearer to 70. So I added 5ml of API water conditioner early the API water conditioner actually lowered the nitrates.

I just completed a test on my tap water and the nitrates are 40 ppm. So, I filled a half gallon jug of my tap water and then added a few drops of the API water conditioner, mixing it up good. I tested this water and the nitrate reading was 0 ppm.

So it seems the API water conditioner is removing all the nitrates from my tap water during the test. Hope this is clear!

So, you did just add dechlorinator to try to bring down the nitrates..... please don't do that. Do the necessary water changes.

And don't base how much dechlorinator you add to your tank on what your readings are. Base it on either a) the volume of the tank or b) the volume of the water you're changing out.

Does this make sense? If you just add dechlorinator when your nitrates are high, it's like putting a band aid on a broken leg.

My tap water is 40ppm, so the best I could ever get my tank at would be near 40ppm conditioner lowered the nitrates in my tap water! Is this a false reading that I'm getting?

It's possible if you tested less than 24 hours after using the conditioner....

Remind me, which test kit?

Back
Top Bottom