Nitrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

semperfi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good morning all! After a week and a half of a nitrite spike (off the chart) and minimal (5ppm) nitrates, that changed today. Nitrates were a solid 40ppm and nitrites were a weak 1ppm. My question is....since nitrates are reading higher now, is my nitrite spike more than likely finished?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423324023.498406.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi semperfi:

It sure sounds like it is. The falling nitrite/rising nitrates sequence is the much-beloved final stage of the cycling process. When your ammonia and nitrite consistently fall to zero in a 24-hour period, you're done! At that stage you can just do a large water change to bring the nitrates down and you're ready for fish.

-Yorg

Good morning all! After a week and a half of a nitrite spike (off the chart) and minimal (5ppm) nitrates, that changed today. Nitrates were a solid 40ppm and nitrites were a weak 1ppm. My question is....since nitrates are reading higher now, is my nitrite spike more than likely finished?View attachment 263559

Thanks Yorg. I am excited to see things changing. I have a lot to learn. This morning's readings got me really excited.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423434609.883540.jpg

You're not finished but really well on the way. Don't forget to top up your ammonia, the whole nitrogen cycle needs to be fed. I judge a cycle to be complete when 4ppm ammonia is converted to zero with zero nitrites after 24 hrs. Some say 2ppm ammonia if you are going to stock slowly.
Personally I keep nitrates at about 40 using water changes to bring them down and then add ammonia to bring that up to 2 or 4ppm, which ever you decide on. Just personal choice as I did read that really excessive nitrates can affect beneficial bacteria multiplying.

Thanks Scot. So these are my readings tonight after dosing to near 3ppm 11 hours ago.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423446404.567842.jpg

It looks and sounds like it's cycled to me! 50% water change to get the nitrates down and you're ready for fish.

Back
Top Bottom