Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diablos

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know it is optimal to have as little as possible of nitrates in the tank water. However, I was curious what is acceptable, and at what level does it cause harm. Also what harm does it cause to the fish.

Generally under 40 ppm is considered safe. many folks shoot to keep it under 20ppm or even less. High nitrates are not toxic like ammonia or nitrites but they do break down a fishes immune system and put the fish under stress. long term exposure will cause slower growth rates and the fish simply will not look as good as they could.

The other problem is that new fish introduced into a poorly maintained aquarium with high nitrates will not do well and it will be difficult to keep the new comers alive.

Regular water changes will keep the fish at their best and the aquarium in tip top shape.

I keep the 29 and 10 gal tanks undetectable. The 55 I have to dose Nitrogen so I'm not exactly sure what that reading in. The 150 I try to keep around 20 ppm.

Most of my tanks are 10-20 ppm, my discus tank is planted and I have to dose it to try and keep it around 10 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom