Nitrates in source water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, everyone. Its been awhile since I've posted here because everything has been running smoothly. The only problem I'm experiencing right now is that I have nitrates in my source water, but 10/20 ppm according to the API master test kit. I mean it's not a big deal, the fish have been well, but it concerns me that when there is excess waste and food it makes the nitrates go up even more. What can I do? I do weekly partial WCs.

KF...

Change most of the tank water every few days. This will guarantee a steady water chemistry. A steady chemistry is the most important thing. If you can stick to such a water change routine, you can eliminate a lot of gizmos, like over filtering, not having to test the tank water and vacuuming the bottom material.

Toxins take time to build up and by removing and replacing most of the tank water every week, you remove the nitrates before they build up in the water.

Maintain an aggressive water change routine and the fish and plants will take care of themselves.

B

Marimo balls (and other live plants)tend to filter nitrates, you may try adding a few in your tank, obviously the bigger the tank the more you want. But other than that, I think just regular water changes

Marimo balls (and other live plants)tend to filter nitrates, you may try adding a few in your tank, obviously the bigger the tank the more you want. But other than that, I think just regular water changes
I have 3 plants in, but I will look into what you suggested. I do water changes weekly and vaccum the gravel. I wish we didn't have nitrates in our water

I wouldn't worry about aggressive water changes, since that is a big source of your nitrates. In fact, I'd reduce water changes. Let your plants reduce your nitrates to low levels. Java ferns are a great plant to have since they grow so dang fast. Every time you prune them your extracting nitrates and phosphates from the tank.

A few years ago I was deployed to the Middle East and didn't come home for 6 months. During that time my wife didn't do a single water change. When I came home all the levels were fine with no additives except a small bit of crushed oyster shells for Alk. The plants needed a serious pruning and the filter was overdue for a change (she did a couple filter changes while I was away), but everything else was fine.

I find we overdo water changes in freshwater systems with plants.

I wouldn't worry about aggressive water changes, since that is a big source of your nitrates. In fact, I'd reduce water changes. Let your plants reduce your nitrates to low levels. Java ferns are a great plant to have since they grow so dang fast. Every time you prune them your extracting nitrates and phosphates from the tank.

A few years ago I was deployed to the Middle East and didn't come home for 6 months. During that time my wife didn't do a single water change. When I came home all the levels were fine with no additives except a small bit of crushed oyster shells for Alk. The plants needed a serious pruning and the filter was overdue for a change (she did a couple filter changes while I was away), but everything else was fine.

I find we overdo water changes in freshwater systems with plants.
I just do it weekly to dilute the nitrates and to vaccum. I have very filthy creatures and if I don't do a water change weekly it turns green. I'm hoping the marimo ball helps as well. I'm thinking about changing my setup but I'm still debating. I like the benefits of the plants

Back
Top Bottom