Nitrates in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amit.rajaram

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I've been trying to cycle my 36g bowfront for about 6 weeks now with no luck. I've 2 filters - Marineland Penguin 200B and Aqueon QuietFlow 20. I started out with 4 guppies, added 2 platys after 3 weeks and one sunset thick lipped gourami last week. I havent lost a fish so far, all fish are healthy, active and eating well. I do 20-25% water changes weekly, and have been using PRIME and STABILITY with each water change.

Now despite all this Ammonia/um levels have been about 5-10 ppm mark for a few weeks now. Nitrites have been at 0 for a while and Nitrates are currently at 20ppm. No matter what I try (larger water changes, less feeding, more PRIME), I just cant get the Ammonia down to zero. I recently tested my tap water and found that while Ammonia is zero, Nitrates are at 5-10ppm. I'm wondering if this is about par for the course for everyone, or if this has anything with the time its taking my tank to cycle (into the 7th week now).

Hmmm.

I have a 36 gallon bow front as well and use tap water with a larger stock of fish but my problem is the tap water being too soft. I use a bit of ammolock from APA that detoxifies the ammonia in the water. I suggest doing a water change at maybe 50% once a week or 25% twice a week. I do water changes every other day sometimes at 50 percent to keep the water fresh and clean.

Back
Top Bottom