Nitrates skipped cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infamouz88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I've been on top of my parameters throughout the whole cycle of my tank. The readings are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
PH : 7.6
Nitrates: 0
Water is crystal clear but what I'm trippin' on is that I never had a nitrate reading. It has been at 0 the whole time. Is it possible that my tank cycle skipped the nitrate phase? Is this normal or will it spike one of these days like my Nitrites did? Thanks in advanced guys!

ForumRunner_20120715_151105.jpg

A few small pieces of info please.

How long have you been cycling this tank?

How are you cycling? Fish in or fishless?

Are you supplying an ammonia source?

Jon

jondamon said:
A few small pieces of info please.

How long have you been cycling this tank?

How are you cycling? Fish in or fishless?

Are you supplying an ammonia source?

Jon

Had to have had an ammonia source if there was a nitrite spike. What type of plants? Did you see lots of growth?

FishontheRock said:
Had to have had an ammonia source if there was a nitrite spike. What type of plants? Did you see lots of growth?

Yes it's a fish in cycle, and I don't know the name of so here's a picture:

ForumRunner_20120715_152942.jpg

The one in the front is an anubias and in the back looks like hornwort to me. Have you noticed the back one growing?

FishontheRock said:
The one in the front is an anubias and in the back looks like hornwort to me. Have you noticed the back one growing?

The anubias has been hardy since I bought it. The one in the back has been growing, it was yellowish when I got it and it's been getting greener. The only problem with that plant is that it breaks easily and it sheds leaf a lot. The one in the front in this picture was dying turning yellow but then the roots grew better and now it's greener and growing. I just bought the one in the back (ludwigia palustris) .

ForumRunner_20120715_153813.jpg

I also forgot but have a moss ball that has grown a lot and makes my tank look nice.

ForumRunner_20120715_154041.jpg

Hmm none of these seem fast growing enough or in large enough numbers to use up all nitrates. What is your water change schedual? How many fish and what kind?

Passatryde said:
The nitrate test can be tricky are you sure you are really shaking the hell out of it?

This should have occurred to me! I screwed this one up just this afternoon. Day dreaming and water tests don't mix.

I was doing like 30-40 percent pwc. As for fish I have 6 guppies 3 mollies 4 neon 3 danios 1 marigold swordtail Nd his female pineapple 1 pleco 2 snails and 6, ghost shrimp. And inside we have the breeder with 6 three week old fry idk who had them and 11 two day old fry idk from who lol... It might sound over stocked but been having the same fish for some time and all get along. No issues.

Passatryde said:
The nitrate test can be tricky are you sure you are really shaking the hell out of it?

Yes I've done it plenty of times. All other test come out with results but nitrate

Do you know of a friend/lfs that does testing with a liquid kit? If so I would take a sample to them and get a test run. the liquids in the kits can go bad so it might be that.

Otherwise Im stumped. With only 4 plants and such a high bio load you should be seeing nitrate. I guess just keep an eye on it.

I bought the kit no more then a month ago. It's worked fine but just to double check I'll take it to petco or petsmart tomorrow. I'm confused as well I was expecting the nitrate. I do a lot of water changes. About 3-4 a week. I don't know if it will help to know that I go the Marineland 20 gal fish tank with the led lighting and bio wheel. I left the old filter media inside and added a second new one. I have used light aquarium salt to help with nitrite(What I've read). Also I put a piece of Cuttlebone on the filter to help the calcium in the tank for my snails. So I'll re-check tomorrow.

ForumRunner_20120715_175203.jpg

Make sure where ever you take the water they are using a liquid test not dip sticks! I know pet smart here uses sticks.

Sometimes the test kits can come with manufactures defects. If you find that your nitrate bottles are not working right get in touch with API (I'm assuming that's the kit your using). I've heard they have very good customer service and may replace the reagents for you.

Okay suggestion. For the next week keep doing daily water test but don't do a water change if there isn't any ammonia or nitrite. You might just be keeping the levels below detection limits with all the dilution from pwcs.

FishontheRock said:
Make sure where ever you take the water they are using a liquid test not dip sticks! I know pet smart here uses sticks.

Sometimes the test kits can come with manufactures defects. If you find that your nitrate bottles are not working right get in touch with API (I'm assuming that's the kit your using). I've heard they have very good customer service and may replace the reagents for you.

I'll give them a call cuz I do have the api master kit, and hopefully it is defective. And about the ammonia and nitrite I had them as the cycle goes.. Ammonia was up and then nitrite spiked to the point that even with water changes the next day I still had high readings. I'm aware of not testing the water right after. Today is the second day with nitrite at zero. Before that it was up at 5ppm and ammonia up to 6ppm. Ammonia was gone but then the nitrite spike for a good week and now I'm waiting for the nitrate but nothing. I don't think it had anything to do with me adding new gravel or new media. Fish seem happy with no signs of stress.. I'm puzzled... Lol... But yeah ill try a lfs with liquid tests, like you said more accurate.

Infamouz88 said:
I don't think it had anything to do with me adding new gravel or new media..

new gravel in your tank?

New media in your filter?

These are the 2 BIGGEST places that nitrifying bacteria colonise.

You've just replaced it all. Expect to to have to recycle your tank.

You will now have to keep watching for Ammonia and Nitrites and do PWC's according to readings.

You only need to change your media in your filter when it's falling apart.

Jon

You really have to abuse those bottles. Beat it like it owes you money, bang it on a hard surface for as long as possible. I beat mine until my shoulder hurts.

Back
Top Bottom