Nitrite Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello guys, i have a 20gallon tank for my common goldfish(Not too interested in twin tails), and i have been using nutrafin cycle. Its a good product if you *Shake the Bottle*. Anyways, I am a few days into my cycle, i havn't gotten any ammonia strikes, but my nitrite reading started ascending a bit. I dont know if i am supposed to be worried about this or not. Ive done 20% Water changes for 2 days now(With the declorinator), and i just want to know if this is something to be scared about, or did the product quick jump me and im at the nitrite stage.(I have Filtration with cartridges, Air Pump, Neon Light(I turn on less then 12hours a day.), And i give food twice a day.) Hes 4'', So i feed him pellets.

Please help.

Thank you.

~Jake

It seems like you're in the nitrite stage now. Keep doing water changes, and as long as you keep it low enough, you should be fine. Also, a common goldfish really needs a pond. A twenty gallon is the minimum for the fancies, which are a lot smaller when full grown. This guy will probably be stunted if his housing isn't changed.

How much nitrite are we talking about? Nitrites are dangerous & need to be kept as close to 0 as possible. If your nitrites are .5 or higher do at least a 50% water change & do more than one in a day if need be.

If you have elevated nitrites and your ammonia levels have peaked then you are in the nitrite stage of establishing your nitrifying bacterial colonies.

Is a 0.1~0.3 gonna kill my goldfish? If it is, do you think oscar fish are more hardy? And have a better survival chance?

You generally wanna keep your nitrites below .25 for any fish. The fish may be hardy, but too high of a nitrite level will kill any fish. The solution is water changes, or in the future, do a fishless cycle to skip all those daily water changes.

Is a 0.1~0.3 gonna kill my goldfish? If it is, do you think oscar fish are more hardy? And have a better survival chance?

As long as you do water changes or won't kill your gold fish. Gold fish and oscars get huge, I wouldn't get an Oscar unless you have at minimum a 55 gallon tank for him to be in.

Really it's the same case with a common gold fish they can grow larger then a foot, so a minimum of 55 for 1 if you want to keep one healthy and happy. But there are people more knowledgable on commons who can comment then me. Just stay on top of water changes and keep testing your water. And don't put an Oscar in a 20 gallon unless you have a big tank to move it to very quickly.

Common Goldies should really be in a 75 gallon, 55 will eventually not let them turn around eventually.

Common Goldies should really be in a 75 gallon, 55 will eventually not let them turn around eventually.

*like* your right, as 55g are 12 inches wide and they will get longer then that assuming they are not stunted, same with as Oscar really last thing I read said they could get 14 inches long.

Shouldnt be much of a problem, i have a 120gallon, a 75 gallon and a 90 gallon. In any case, ill be able to transfer the goldfish to the 75 gallon and the oscar to the 90 gallon.

I want to get two baby ones that i saw at a lfs called Safari. They're identical and i fell in love with them. Do you think i should put them in a 90 gallon or 120gallon atm?

Not at the moment, but i had 3 15'' Marble cat shark in it, wich i gave away, but its a cycled tank.

Back
Top Bottom