Nitrites not falling....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im in my 3+ week of cycling and my readings are as follows

Am - .25ppm
rite - 5ppm
rate - 20ppm

my nitrite has been high for about a week and half, and i was wondering how long till i see it to drop down?? :nono:

I did the fishless cycle w/ a does of ammonia from acy hardware

my nitrite has been high for about a week and half, and i was wondering how long till i see it to drop down?? :nono:

Mine was stuck around the same yours is...it was the very next day that ammonia and trites were gone...just gotta wait it out...:fish2:

Check your ph. I was stuck on the same deal as you. My ph dropped one day and i did a very small Pwc to get the ph back up and then things took off from there.

Hey guys.... After dosing my ammonia to 3-4ppm last night, it has dropped back down to .25ppm this morning BUT my nitrites are sill supper high (5ppm). Seems like my ammonia levels get low pretty quick but i dont know whats going on with my Nitrites

I did a 20% or so pwc last week to check if this could help out BUT it didnt. Still the same

ANY thoughts??

Check for a ph drop . That could stall your cycle. Also maybe dose every other day but like I posted earlier I had the same deal. Trites went from maxed out to 0 over 2 days. It takes a while for them to start dropping but when they do it's going to be quick.

My PH droped from 8.2-8.4 to 8.0. Ive read that the PH has to drop down to about 7.4 and below for the cycle to stall. so i thought that could not be it.

how long did your cycle last hondatek?? you have live rock or base?? did you use live sand or dry sand?? I assume you did the fishless cycle too??

I dosed with Ace ammonia as well. Cycle took 3 and a half weeks. Dosed to 4ppm every other day. I used LS and 2lb of LR/gallon in my tank. Trites stalled a bit for a few days, but zeroed out after a bit.

Interesting. You have waaaay more LR than i do (% wise) and it took you 3+ weeks. I guess i shall give this another week or two to see if my trites get down :hide:

My cycle lasted a little over a month and a half 220 lbs or base and not even 5 lbs of live rock. I used pool filter sand and yes it was fishless with pure ammo dosing.

I'm in the same boat trites stuck high for awhile anyone know how to get the bacteria going that converts trites to trates?

If u are cycling that high of grotesque is good stop dosing no pwc let everything smooth out to 0 then pwc and fish take your time don't rush

My numbers are as such:

pH: 8.4
Ammonia: 3-4ppm
NitrItes:5.0
NitrAtes:20
Patience: 0

My wife and I have just done 4 wc's this evening of 3 of 10%, and 1 of 25%, to no avail. NitrItes are still 5.0ppm. My wife and I wonder why after so many wc's and nothing has gone down. My theory if you have a certain number of NitrItes, doing 1 wc would bring it to 1/2, and so forth. I am pulling my hair out! BTW-I bought my lr from my local Petco store. They were very nice and professional, though they do not have much saltwater livestock. Could they have sold me base rock instead of lr? They sold me rock that they said was 1 or more years underwater in their sw tanks. They even said they would give it to me at 50% off, so I agreed and bought them. How do I check to see if my lr is truly live rock, or is there a fool-proof way to tell? How do I know and trust anyone if there is no real way to tell, if that's the case at all?

P.S. My ammonia goes to zero in less than 4 hours flat!

Here's my progress so far as of 0730 hrs on 03/23/2012

pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 2.0ppm
Nitrates: 160ppm
Gravity/Salinity: 1.024

Finally some progress!

Looks like you are coming along but, have you had a trusted LFS test your water? Might be the kit you are using is incorrect or you may not be completing the test correctly. If it were me, I would take a large sample, test it myself and then have an LFS test the same sample. Then you have something to compare too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom