Nitrites not falling....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rdnelson99 said:
Looks like you are coming along but, have you had a trusted LFS test your water? Might be the kit you are using is incorrect or you may not be completing the test correctly. If it were me, I would take a large sample, test it myself and then have an LFS test the same sample. Then you have something to compare too.

I had it tested by my lfs but they tested with strips.

sanchezkk said:
I might have to go a little farther out to get to a reputable lfs to get a better test of my water.

What tests are you using? How old are they? If you can't feet to a good LFS just give it a bit more time. If you can dose to 4 ppm and read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and nitrate climbs and does so consistently I would say you are good to go. Just go slow. Don't add more than 2 fish than wait at least a week so the bacteria can catch up.

rdnelson99 said:
What tests are you using? How old are they? If you can't feet to a good LFS just give it a bit more time. If you can dose to 4 ppm and read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and nitrate climbs and does so consistently I would say you are good to go. Just go slow. Don't add more than 2 fish than wait at least a week so the bacteria can catch up.

I'm using the API Marine Test Kit. I just bought the kit last month and been using it religiously since. I'll wait of course. I have no choice.

sanchezkk said:
I'm using the API Marine Test Kit. I just bought the kit last month and been using it religiously since. I'll wait of course. I have no choice.

I think you are about there. API us not the best but better than test strips. LOL. If your LFS is using strips don't trust any advice they give you. They either don't know any better or they don't care. Before you buy a fish, do your own research and make sure it will do well in your setup now and down the road. Same with corals. While This may be unfair to the LFS it sounds like the kind of place that will sell you anything just to get a sale.

When I was searching for good LFS I asked questions I knew the answers too just to see what answer they gave me. Now I buy from the one who refuses to sell to me if she knows my tank won't support it. :)

Water levels as of March 24, 2012 at 0614 hours:

pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 160ppm
Temp: 85°F

Tank finally cycled!
Halleluja

ForumRunner_20120324_064644.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120324_064609.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120324_064609.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 64
Need to get your Ph up to 8.2 also check when your lights are off a few hours it will make a difference in your levels just sharing info

The PH is a bit low but not critically so IMO. Not sure of your set up but here are a few ideas that may help bring it up without using chemicals. First, angle your power heads towards the surface of the water a bit. If you can get a ripple going on the surface that will help bring the PH up. If you are running a refugium in a sump, put the lighting schedule opposite that of the display tank. I think you will find that as you do your water changes to get the nitrates down to acceptable levels your PH will start to come in line. You want to get Nitrate down at least below 25 ppm but as close to 0 as you can. I can't explain why but my tank is always at 0 nitrates. I do 10% water changes every week which I know helps but I my tests are always done before the water change. I suspect my readings are not exact but since it is showing 0 and everything thrives it can't be off by too much.

You are very close now. Do those water changes and get the nitrates down and you are good to go. :) Just be sure to go slow.

Post a list of your set up (Tank size, sump size, fuge, power heads, lights, etc.) and and what kinds of fish you want. Lots of people will chime in with recommendations on what would be good and what wont. They will also guide on what to add first to avoid problems down the road.

Good Luck.

The fish I'm picking for starters are Bangaii Cardinalfish, some Clownfish, a fire goby, some Turbo Snails and a couple of Emerald Crabs. Now let's see how this works. Fun fun and more fun!

That is 4 fish added at once?? Those are you initial fish? That seems like 2 too many for first fish. Need to give new tank time to adjust to fish. Fish produce good amount of ammonia and if not enough bacteria to convert from 4 fish you could see a spike.

sanchezkk said:

Afraid that is the one for fresh water. If you go with that many fish to start you are not only going to kill several animals in your care but you are going to set yourself up for failure and be very frustrated. Hate to be so harsh but that is my opinion. Take it slow. If you do, you will enjoy this hobby and have a gorgeous tank. Only BAD things happen fast in this hobby.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom