Nitrogen cycle almost done??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franky.2015

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I am currently doing a fish-in cycle with a 20 gallon Freshwater tank. I am using 2 zebra danios, in which I plan on keeping after the cycle is complete. I am using the Api Master test kit. So far, the cycle has been going on for 3 months. The ammonia began to decrease below* .25ppm. And no nitrite ever appeared. I tested for nitrate and it increased at 10ppm. I researched as to why my nitrite never appeared and it turns out it sometimes happens so fast that the tests don't catch it. So, here is my question. My ammonia is currently at 0 ppm. My nitrite is currently at 0ppm. And my nitrate is at 20ppm. I came to conclusion that my nitrogen cycle is now complete. But how long do I have to wait to make sure the ammonia and nitrite stay at zero?? And after that, what do I do before I can get more fish? Thanks. And please just answer my questions. (Don't ask me questions!)

If your ammonia and nitrite have been steadily reading zero for at least a week (preferably two), it's safe to say your cycled. Just continue with weekly water changes and maintenance and monitoring parameters for stability.

When you wish to add fish in the future, do so slowly. Stocking will need to be gradual and carefully monitored as you can expect to see spikes in ammonia and nitrite which will need to be addressed with water changes. Once your bacteria have adjusted to the increased bioload and your tank is stable, you can again gradually add more fish. It can take anywhere from a week to a couple of weeks for things to stabilize again. Just take your time, stock reasonably and keep on top of parameters/necessary water changes and things should go smoothly! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom