NKOTB - The Right Stuff???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Luckily I found a place that distributes locally. I'll be picking up tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to dose? Does this mean another pricey test kit?

You have 2 (or more ) ways of fertilizing your plants.

One is a comprehensive, no testing needed method - the Estimative Index (EI)
This is the write up:
EI light: for those less techy folks

The other is dose to target method. You need a test kit for this. But for KNO3, all you need is the nitrate kit, which you already have. In brief, you set up a target level you want to achieve. For NO3, 5-10 is a good range. You then add enough fert. to get to that target. <For KNO3, 1 teaspoon in 300L (or ~80 gal) will raise NO3 by ~7.5.> You measure how fast your plants are using the NO3 & replenish appropriately.

Eg. If you dose to 5ppm, after 2 days it is down to 0, then you need to dose 5 ppm every 2 days to maintain that level. This of course fluctuates depends on how the plants are doing, availability of the other nutrients, etc. So this is more labor intensive & prone to errors. But it uses less ferts. In a small tank, EI is prob the easiest. For large tanks, dosing EI & doing 50% pwc can get expensive ... hence the other approach.

I actually just read about EI and with only 8 gallons, you're right, it makes sense.
I'm trying to get it measured out so I can add measured doses of pre-diluted powder throughout the week. Know where I can find a table of recommended grams per gallon or grams per liter? I figure this way I can get more accurate for my smaller tank. The smallest anyone recommends for is 10 gallons in tiny fractions of teaspoons, and the fact that I'm already technically "overdosing" ...I just don't want to burn anything.
I guess I could do the second method until I know how much my tank would max out at. Then from there on out, aim for that level with EI.
Thoughts?

I don't know of any recommended dilution tables. People just make stock solutions of whatever is handy.

There are a couple approaches, you can make an "even" concentration & dose a variable volume based on your tank size. Or you can make a custom concentration & dose a set volume.

An eg may be in order.
For your 8 gal tank, you might want to dose 1/16 teaspoon of KNO3 3x per week.

To do the first method:
Mix 2.5 teaspoon in 1 cup - gives concentration of 0.01 teaspoon per ml
To dose 1/16 tsp = 0.0625 tsp, add 6.25 ml of your stock solution (1 teaspoon is close enough)

You can vary the dilution to whatever is convenient to you. But once you made a decision on concentration, you use that & up or down the amount of stock solution added when changing the dose. <This is typical of the pre-made ferts you buy in lfs's.>

2nd method:
You want to dose 10 ml of stock solution (2 teaspoon) each time.
So you mix up a solution of: 1/16 tsp in 10 ml = 1 tsp in 160 ml.
Should you want to increase your dose to 1/10 tsp (say), you mix up a new solution:
1/10 tsp in 10 ml = 1 tsp in 100 ml.

But you dose 10 ml each time, no need to remember or calculate when dosing.

The 2nd method is more convenient when dosing multiple ferts together.
Eg if you want to dose 1/16 tsp of KNO3 & 1/64 tsp of KH2PO4 each dose, and you want to dose 10 ml each time, you would make up a solution of:
160 ml of water with 1 tsp of KNO4 & 1/4 tsp of KH2PO4. <Of course you can add as many different ferts as you want in your solution.>

Your dosing is then simple. 10 ml of "your" solution will be all you need, instead of messing with different bottles of stuff.

This is just simple math. But if you want to double check things, you can post your stock solution calculations.

I was making it harder than it was.
Ok, been dosing now for about a week and noticed an improvement.
Snails have also decreased significantly.

I was looking into trace (or micro) nutrients. Couldn't find CSM+B, but found something I'm pretty sure is comparable. Not sure how to dose though. Please find details and respond in new thread in Planted section:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/micro-nutrients-dosage-128023.html

Back
Top Bottom