No filter needed for a heavily planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashdavid

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just wanted to share my experience with planted tanks without filters. I currently have a 400g planted tank that I started out with a normal biological filter, as time went on I became bored with the tank so I decided to pull the filter off and just use powerheads to circulate the water. I use pressurized Co2 with 1500w of MH light, the bio load is about 200 1" to 2" fish ( tetras, rummy nose tetras, ect,ect) and I have 4* 4" to 5" angel fish and about 15 algae eaters(not the chinese type), so there is a reasonable bio load to be filtered. When this experiment began I must admit I was a little concerned , so I pulled the bio media out very slowly over a period of several weeks always testing the water for ammonia spikes, they never came. Now I had this tank running for about three years before I started this experiment and I have had my fair share of algae. Since I have pulled the media out I have noticed a significant reduction in visible algae and plant growth has almost doubled in speed, so has Co2 expenditure, I have also stoped vacumming the tank and do 10% water changes every three weeks. Ammonia is undetectable and so is the No3 , so I supplyment with KNo3. My main goal with this tank is to see how it will be able to handle the imput nutrients as food and the export of nutrients by means of the plants , so far it is working great and all fish life is healthy growing well. My other concern was with water clarity, but that was unfounded, the water is as clear as with the filter on the tank.Any way I wanted to share this information with anyone who was interested. Cheers :D

how many powerheads, and at what total gph? just want some stats in case anyone else wants to attempt this.

very cool. It is always fun to create a mini ecosystem and it is great that you were able to do it! I don't recommend this for most people because I don't think they'd be as careful as you were (testing, removing things slowly, etc), Having 400 gallons also helps, IMO. Do you have any pictures? I'd love to see them. I managed to make a mini ecosystem in my five gallon, but that was with a bunch of fast growing plants which I have to prune nearly every week. :D

do you add any other ferts, except KNO3?
well, you know the drill, you become famous, questions hound you!!
BTW, great job on achieving the balance without those damn filters...

tetrin said:
do you add any other ferts, except KNO3?
well, you know the drill, you become famous, questions hound you!!
BTW, great job on achieving the balance without those darn filters...

I add other trace elements iron ect, I also add phostphate as well, just went about using ferts as usual only I have noticed that I have had to increase the amouts due to excellent plant growth. As I don't live in the States I don't use flourish or flourish excel, I have only know the names b/c I have been reading everyone posts from.

Ph is always kept at 7, sometimes when the Co2 runs out and I am at work , the ph can rise tp over 8 is just a few hours. Not good for the fish so I try not to let that happen.

Ive noticed in the ATS thread that it takes ashdavid forever to get some pics! LOL.. just kidding with you there ash..
you really need to get a digicam by the way (im sure the tanks have burnt a serious hole in your pocket though :lol: )
What is the PH of the tank water if you let it set out overnight?
Have you tested the PH of the water after it has set out before so you could track and see if your tank has been acidifying on you?

Sounds excellent....not dissimilar to a few of the larger planted tanks I have seen in Japan with larger schools of neon tetras of harlequin rasboras. It takes patience and care to manage such a well-balanced tank....congrats on the success.

Back
Top Bottom