No luck Anachris?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWaddict

Aquarium Advice Activist
AGH! I am ready to rip my hair out! I have always loved how anachris looks in my fish tanks, but EVERYTIME I happen to get some it doesn't last much longer than 2 weeks! I must either not have a green thumb or just have bad lighting. I know for a fact I bought a compact flourescent bulb for my tank, I haven't had the money to scrounge up for a second one :-X But the other bulb on that light strip is just a regular compact flourescent I believe it is 60w... Any information as to how I can keep Anachris in my tank? I would love it and if you have advice on whether or not to have plants with my cichlids would be great as well.

Thanks

-Andy

Need a little more info. Is the tank a 55gal? If so, are there are two 60w bulbs over the tank? Should be enough light for anachris I would think. How old are the bulbs and what k rating are they. How often do you do water changes?

You can have cichlids and plants. If your looking for low maintenance may I suggest anubias nana, java ferns, and/or crypts.

My Anachris was thin and looked like it was dying with the flouescent lights that came with the tank. I recently upgraded from the two 15 watt lights that came with my tank to two 55 watt lights 10,000k and now my Anachris is taking off and getting real bushy and nice. So I am guessing maybe your light isn't strong enough.

Thats at least part of the problem. Actinic bulbs are useless for growing plants and if the other bulb is more than a year old then it needs replaced as well. Just because it still emits light does not mean it's still good.

Shoot, I have 2 light strips on my light. 1 strip has 2 regular compact florescent bulbs. The other strip has 1 actinic bulb and the other bulb is a regular compact florescent 60w I believe. What bulbs would I need for my tank in order to keep Anachris and some other plants as well?

So just to clarify you have a total of four bulbs over this tank? 3 regular CF bulbs and a actinic? And this is over a 55g? Man, thats a lot of light. You have the potential for 4wpg assuming the bulbs are 55w-65w. Even so if the bulbs are too old it won't do you much good. You'll just be wasting electricity and growing algae.

My advice brother is to get yourself two new bulbs and only use 1 fixture. Get bulbs with a color rating of 5500k-10000k.

I should have asked this first but how long do you leave the lights on for? Are you growing any other plants in there besides anachris?

Back
Top Bottom