No RO/DI for the time being?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bound_for_obx

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm very close to getting my 75 set up... I don't have a RO/DI unit yet and I am wondering if I can get by without one for the time being? If I use tap water am I gonna have an algae explosion?

I used tap water for a few months on my current tank. I used tap water in my FO tank for 7+ years. No major algea issues then.

I will say that I am battling cynobacteria alge right now though. I started buying water from the grocery about 2 months ago to help. Just get some jugs and buy the RO water if you worry about it. I got 3 5 gal containers and it cost me $2 to fill them up. Kind of depends on how good your local water is.

HTH

I'm switching to RO/DI in all of my tanks as we type...I have had algae issues in all tanks (FW until I got my SAEs). I am fairly certain this will help my SW.

I have had my set up with a very active and a well balanced load of fish for three years. Never had a problem with algae blooms or hair algae. I always use and will continue to use 30 cents a gallon RO water at a local water store. I do 10 gallon to 15 gallon water changes a month with coralife salt mix.

No faucet water and leave the garden hose outside!!!!!

I never add anything else to the water and I have so much pink and purple coralline algae, 90 percent of my rock is encrusted. I attribute this to frequent water changes with good water and a little luck.

I wouldn't trust San Diego water out of the faucet for my fish period, I don't drink it why should they.

I also use a fluval 404 filter with Chemi Pure and ceramics with foam.

In my 50 gallon tank I have 50 pounds of rock and an undergravel filter with 40 pounds of crushed coral. Plus I have a protein Skimmer on 24-7, which I clean out every 4-6 days and is it ever full of gunk.

I started my tank with tap water and it is covered with diatoms and Cyano. You might be able get lucky with you water source, but I didn't. I ordered a ro/di from ebaylast week.

Back
Top Bottom