no spike yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
We had a tank up for 11 days now and there has been no spike in ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. I just added 2 jumbo raw shrimp. How long should they stay in tank? Is this too much shrimp? I have a 75g tank.

Two should be good. The reason you have not seen a spike is there was no ammonia source, ie; the decaying shrimp. You should see some stuff happening real soon.

scrmom said:
How long should I keep the shrimp in the tank? Also, I have 3 hitchikers in there, 2 snails and crab. Will they be okay?

The shrimp can stay in there indefinately. The snails and crab may make it, hard to say. Are these hitchhikers or ones you purchased?

They were hitchikers. I don't want them to die. Should I put them in another tank with saltwater until it is cycled? If so, do they need circulation and heat?

Should I put them in another tank with saltwater until it is cycled?
If you have another cycled SW tank, sure.
If so, do they need circulation and heat?
Yes and yes. Without circulaton, your pH will possibly be too low.
I wouldn't worry about them making it or not. I am not trying to be inhumane, but sometimes it happens with hitchikers. Maybe you can take them to your LFS for a future credit.

Yes. Over the weekend Nitrates 40, Ammonia .50, nitrites .25. Yesterday Nitrates 20, ammonia .25, nitrite 0. So it lloks like we are almost done with the cycling. Should I take the shrimp out now?

I would take out at least one shrimp. 2 jumbos was more than necessary IMO. If you take them both out I would just add a pinch of food each day (small but continual ammonia source) until parameters settle.

Wait for ammonia and nitrite to be 0 and then do a 25% PWC and then test again and you might be ready for the first fish. I want to see pics when you add.

Back
Top Bottom