Noob to this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishAvenge

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've never had a aquarium of my own before (other than a 1 gallon w/ a betta as a kid) I'm going to be purchasing a 10 gallon aquarium in the near future (For a college dorm, so i really can't get any bigger) I was wondering what would be some good easy to care for fish to start out with being new at this and all... any help would be greatly appreciated. God Bless!

I've never had a aquarium of my own before (other than a 1 gallon w/ a betta as a kid) I'm going to be purchasing a 10 gallon aquarium in the near future (For a college dorm, so i really can't get any bigger) I was wondering what would be some good easy to care for fish to start out with being new at this and all... any help would be greatly appreciated. God Bless!

Well, do you want community or semi aggressive? Planted or non planted? You know how to cycle first before puting fish in?

Yea I know about cycling and stuff... my mom recently taught me about that... but I don't think I really want any plants at the moment and nothing too aggressive. Just something pretty to watch if that makes any sense

Is it true that some tetras get ick real easy thou? Like I've been told that Neon Tetras get it easy but I wasn't sure if it was just for her or if that is a regular thing

Last edited:
Yea I know about cycling and stuff... my mom recently taught me about that... but I don't think I really want any plants at the moment and nothing too aggressive. Just something pretty to watch if that makes any sense

I'd just go with a school of 7-10 harliquin rasboras. They are really cool looking when in a large school. And really neat little fish too.

Is it true that some tetras get ick real easy thou? Like I've been told that Neon Tetras get it easy but I wasn't sure if it was just for her or if that is a regular thing

neon tetras and smaller tetras arent very hardy. platies would be a good choice you could do 3 platies and an african aquatic dwarf frog

Okay I was just making sure... because both my mom and my sister have had issues with ich, so I just figured I would double check... like I said I'm new to all of this hence why I asked you all for some pointers ;)

neon tetras and smaller tetras arent very hardy. platies would be a good choice you could do 3 platies and an african aquatic dwarf frog

Yeah, neons and smaller ones have a more likely chance of getting ich or some kind of other disease. But to me, a 10 gal with 3 platys and 1 adf is a bit boring if you know what I mean....... I'd get small fish with a bigger school.

I like the idea of the school... eventually I'd like to get different kinds of Angel Fish (hence my username) but I just want to work my way up and not get to far ahead of myself.

yeah angelfish need quite a bit bigger tank than that lol a dwarf gourami and a school of nano fish would be a cool idea. my 10 g has a separator with two bettas :)
img_2568285_0_a3c5b536743242574bb27cb979aaedd6.jpg

ya i know they take need a much bigger tank... I actually have a 55 gallon tank at my parent's house that I will be using once I have some more experience...

ya i know they take need a much bigger tank... I actually have a 55 gallon tank at my parent's house that I will be using once I have some more experience...

Nice. Can't wait till you get that tank started :D. And a number of angels will be able to fit in that for sure.

i would go with guppies as well. they're, IME, hardier than tetras. plus, if you only get the male guppies, you can get yourself an array of different colors. if you pick tetras, you can only get one type for a 10gal tank. i kept my guppies in a tank with minimal heating and a HOB filter.

Back
Top Bottom