not sure what to do, looking for opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
You can see my stock below for reference. My problem is that my Map angel is becoming a total terror towards my Heni's. She has always given them a bit of a chase, but lately she has just plain nasty towards them stressing them out quite a bit.
I have had her for a years and a half and she has doubled is size (almost 7" now and we are quite attached to her.
I have also had the Heni's for about a year and we are quite attached to them as well, very friendly fish. I know a 6' tank seems like a good amount of real estate, but it doesn't seem like things will improve.
Someone may have to go and its a tough decision to make.
On the one hand, I purchased a 210 in order to make a large angel the centerpiece of the system and she has done that. She hand feeds and is quite docile towards us.
On the other hand, the Heni's are a joy and act like a couple of little puppies when I walk into the room.
If the angel goes, I could probably upgrade my lighting and start doing a reef tank, my other fish are at least somewhat reef safe (except the Coral Beauty)...so that is somewhat attractive. BUT... it would be a tough sell for my kids.
It sucks because this is the combo of fish that I wanted.
I don't know what to do, just wondering what you all think.
TIA

Attachments

• angie20001_141.jpg
    angie20001_141.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 94
  • tjandd0001.jpg
    tjandd0001.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 93
Easy answer. Get another 210 tank, and everyone's happy. :wink:

I wouldn't know the first thing to do... possibly QT either of them and move rocks around and re-establish them as if it were a new tank? Probably would be more trouble than it's worth. My sympathies Kurt. :(

It's hard to say QS. If it were me, I'd go full reef and ditch the angel. You would have to keep a close eye on the Heni's also, they can have appetites for coral polyps. It's going to be a hard choice, good luck whichever you choose.

Moving the rockwork is a good place to start. Maybe you could make two smaller rock structures, one on each side of the tank. Leave an open "valley" in the center of the tank. This way they can each have thier own space and it might stop some of the aggression. Good luck and keep us posted.

You could try taking her out and putting her in QT for a month or so. While she's gone, rearrange the rocks in the tank and let the Heni's make their own stomping grounds. Maybe when she gets back she'll be better behaved. I like Lando's idea of the open valley. I like the way that looks anyway.

edit: LOL. I should have read all of the other replies before responding. Then I could have just said "Uh, yeah, what they said." Would have been a lot shorter!

Maybe you could make two smaller rock structures, one on each side of the tank. Leave an open "valley" in the center of the tank. This way they can each have thier own space and it might stop some of the aggression. Good luck and keep us posted.
LOL, thats what I have, she pretty much rules both.
You would have to keep a close eye on the Heni's also, they can have appetites for coral polyps.
Actually mine are Heniochus diphreutes, took me a while to find this type. They tend not to be the coral pickers. I don't think they would, In the year they have been in there I have not seen them pick at a thing.
Thanks guys! Gotta give it some more thought.

Back
Top Bottom