Not sure what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demonjumpr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got some driftwood for my tank and i had to throw it out since i noticed it had this white mold in it. I have all my fish in a spare tank for now while I replace all the water and let it settle but it'll take a while. My question is would my clown plecos be okay without driftwood for a week or two? They eat other things like cucumber and brine shrimp, but if they are going to be fine for a bit I'd rather avoid going back to the store and getting more of that wood :/

Are you sure it was mold? Was it already submerged? If so, how long? I'm pretty sure mold doesn't grow underwater. Mine grew some white algae/ fungus type stuff on it after a couple weeks, but my bn pleco ate it and it never came back. It's been a few months now and my pleco is just fine. Doesn't mean that's what yours had, just thought I'd give my experience.

Also, did you try boiling the dw, if it wasn't too big? Or if it was, did you soak it in a hot bath with some salt to disinfect it? These are possible solutions for future reference in case you didn't already know. However, whenever going the salt bath route, make sure to soak it in plain water for awhile afterwards to remove the salt.

As for them not having dw for a bit, that shouldn't be a big issue. Just get some in there as soon as you can. A couple weeks without shouldn't hurt, but a couple months could cause some intestinal issues.

It's been in there a while, I had bought it some time last year. I pulled the wood out so I could move some things around and it broke. The center was white mushy and it almost looked like pus in a way. Idk what it was but I definitely don't want that in my tank. And thank you, I'll certainly boil the new peices of wood I got, figured it would look nicer too if I got some smaller peices.

And that really makes me feel better haha it's not for long so I'm glad they should be good

Thank you again :)

Water mould is present in nature and does not infect a normal healthy fish, unless there is an injury site.

Back
Top Bottom