Not understanding why...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have heard people refer to fish as not belonging in a reef tank or not safe for reef tanks, but I never see a reason. I am sure that I am just
missing some obvious point, but I cant see it. (sometimes you have to hit
me with a hammer...duh)

I fully understand that some species of fish do not do well together, but do the reef inhabitants hurt the fish or the other way around?

Just trying to be a better educated fishy person...

Some animals are not reef friendly. Following are a few examples and why I don't consider them reef friendly:

Most species of Angelfish (excluding Pygmy Angels with reservation). These fish eat coral, sponges and clams.

Most Triggerfish (excluding Niger and BlueJaw with reservation). These fish eat crustaceans, and other fish.

This list goes on and on. The best thing to do is research an animal before you buy it.

Guy

As guy said you would not want a fish whos natural diet consists of the exact same corals and sponges you have spent money on and are trying ot keep.

Some fish species are :?: as to if they will cause a problem. Like the pigmy angles. Some may and some may not go after the sponges or soft tissue corals. Others might not at first but might develop a taste for them later on.

:scrambleup:

And dont worry about asking questions. If you dont ask you wont learn. Not learning is a bad way to go about life. Personally I enjoy learning so that I can then turn around and shaire what I learned with others. Thats the entire purpose of this site. To share or experences and knowledge with others and at the same time forming a community of people with common interest.

The ONLY stuipid question to ask on this site is the one that never gets asked.

p.s. I give you kudos points for asking such a good question.

Thank you for the replies, I saw exactly what you were "reef"ering to today, when I was at the LFS and watched a Forceps Fish poke his nose into a sea apple coral.

Back
Top Bottom