Now I'm just missing the fish 

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7bubbles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am completely new to the hobby. A couple of weeks ago I bought this 40g tank and little by little I have been putting it together with my children. All the decorations, filter, heater, etc are in place. We have been cycling it and carrying out tests often. The Nitrate is going down and next weekend it should be ready for the first two or three fish. The question is: what do you recommend to get as first fish? The tank is 40g and I would like to get lots of little ones rather than few bigger ones. Your comments an recommendations will be welcomed.

Attachments

• image-2876099155.jpg
    image-2876099155.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 173
  • image-1613681353.jpg
    image-1613681353.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 183
  • image-718736429.jpg
    image-718736429.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 170
Look at the different varieties of tetras for a school of brightly colored fish, and if it was me I'd get a school of six or so corydoras they are so much fun to watch and have a ton of personality

I like it a lot. Very pretty tank. Some neon tetras would look great in there if you're looking for small schooling fish.

Definitely second the cory cats. They're very fun to watch scurry across the bottom.

Also, one of your tiki men looks like he has a massive booger hanging out of his left nostril.

Josh said:
Also, one of your tiki men looks like he has a massive booger hanging out of his left nostril.

 LOL. Well, then it will be a treat for being the first fish in the aquarium!

Loving the tank :D did you get all the decs from pets at home?
I like blue tetras and silver tip tetras. I think they're gorgeous :) guppies are very colourful too, and have so much more character and personality than I ever thought they would.

(my 200th post! How exciting ;) )

Yes, actually the tank was a display tank, so I got it with a really good discount. In top of that the store manager let me have all the decorations that were inside for free so I got a good deal 

7bubbles said:
Yes, actually the tank was a display tank, so I got it with a really good discount. In top of that the store manager let me have all the decorations that were inside for free so I got a good deal 

I thought I recognised them ;) that was really jammy!

Sonofthoth said:
Great looking tank! Is that grass atached to the log?
I agree with all the others t Tetras are a nice start.

The grass and log are just a cheap background picture 

Hey, nice tank!

I three suggest a shoal of Cories, they are awesome!
To make the tank look nice and balanced, your going to want to have Top swimmers, middle swimmers, and bottom dwellers.

Cories would be the bottom dwellers, and Guppies would be the top swimmers, while Tetras swim mostly in the middle.

Another suggestion is Platies. They are really active and colorful.

I would get a school of either black skirt or serpae tetras. Those are my favorite species of tetra and they seem quite a bit more active than neons. Just in my experience. =] Our serpae has a lot of personality too.

Back
Top Bottom