Npx biopellets.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkushy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started pellets in a tlf 150 and everything seems to be taking it ok except for my Fiji leather. It was doing great until I started this and am wondering if this is common or maybe even a coincidence. I didn't want to run the reactor but due to constantly fighting brown hair/diatoms lately I gave in and fired it up. I know the problem is my ro water but I can't keep up to replacing filters on it. It is an aquatic life and I only get a couple hundred gallons before the tds is right up to around 100. It has never worked good and I am on my 3rd membrane and di cartridge in a year. I want to upgrade to a spectra pure but need a bit of cash first. Anyway. My leather is not fully expanding and very few polyps coming out. I changed the flow pattern in my tank because my torch was getting too much. The leather still gets pretty direct flow but coming at it a little differently. Could it just be annoyed for a few days. Been two now and it's one of my favorites. Should I shut down the pellets??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pellets caused me a world of problems, cyano breakout for one. I now dose vinegar mixed with kalkwasser and that has been a good carbon source. The leathers can be real picky about flow. Mine likes very little.

My leather seems to like direct flow. Was doing good until I fired up the biopellets. I think I may take them offline. My fan worm is no longer coming out now either. Purchased new filters for the ro system. Will have to figure something out. Operating without a sump is proving to be a challenge I believe.

My leather is back to normal and my tube worm is back out. Although he now has a new and very small crown I guess he is at least alive. Can u give me some advice on vinegar and kalkwasser. 90 gallon tank. Softies and lps. No sps. Led lighting.

I'll have a read after work. I don't mind using more vinegar. Nobody will steal vinegar. Seems my vodka used to disappear pretty shortly after it arrived .......lol

Pellets caused me a world of problems, cyano breakout for one. I now dose vinegar mixed with kalkwasser and that has been a good carbon source. The leathers can be real picky about flow. Mine likes very little.

Hey Greg I never thought about it but are you adding the vineger along with the kalkwaser to keep the ph up. I stop using the vineger because I thought it was lowering the ph. I stopped using vodka because it was a little more expensive but it didn't harm the ph and I think it worked better

I had a problem with pellets and vodka, it grew Cyano. The chemistry of adding vinegar to kalkwasser is interesting because it puts the calcium thru a process where it is more effective for coral uptake. It also helps counter the effect of ph when added to the tank. The article on it explains it much better. But it looks to me that it is a great way to not only improve kalkwasser but to also use the acetate in the vinegar to be a carbon source that isn't suppose to grow Cyano. We will see in six months.

Back
Top Bottom