Nu Nu and Gboy's 66 gallon Red Sea Max build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup we were told to cycle it with some of the bb from the 30 so we put some in, but it is taking a while. We dint wanna add too much because we dont want to risk a spike in the 30..

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yup we were told to cycle it with some of the bb from the 30 so we put some in, but it is taking a while. We dint wanna add too much because we dont want to risk a spike in the 30..

Mine took 45 days, with no seeded media. I'd expect yours to finish really fast. Is all the media in there seeded?

If you have enough BB in your 30g nano to support all 3 fish, why don't you move all the LR and Media to your 66g? The same bacteria will still sustain those 3 fish. But you have to do it really quick in order to avoid die off. Maybe add 5-10lbs of cured rock and you're good to go.

Ibrahim said:
If you have enough BB in your 30g nano to support all 3 fish, why don't you move all the LR and Media to your 66g? The same bacteria will still sustain those 3 fish. But you have to do it really quick in order to avoid die off. Maybe add 5-10lbs of cured rock and you're good to go.

Wait im a little confused. What you are saying is that we could essentially move all of the LR and media into the 66 without having a spike in the 30? We dont want to add fish right away, so they need enough bb in the 30 to hold them over for a few days

There will be some in the sand but it will be very little. Maybe leave behind 5lbs and continue to do WC's in order to bring down ammonia if there is any present.

Cool. My idea was to remove a few rocks every few days an add them to the 66 sp that we dont stir everything up by taking out all the rock at once. Good idea? How much more media should we add?

By rights if you move all live rock over and the livestock that rock supported then you should at most see a mini cycle. With my 55g I used all cured LR and with an hour drive home from the store I threw it in and still have 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates. Most of my stock is coral with the exception of a pair of clowns and my CUC but parameters have been stable. if the rock supports three fish then the BB can support three fish so the environment in which they support those three fish doesn't really matter.

So...can we stop the cycle then? Nitrites at 5+...do we just do PWC's to bring it all down and then add all the media/rocks?

Personally I would do a water change then move everything over and keep a close eye on parameters but you shouldn't see much of a spike. Drip acclimate everything first though.

kdpuffer said:
Personally I would do a water change then move everything over and keep a close eye on parameters but you shouldn't see much of a spike. Drip acclimate everything first though.

How big would it need to be to put everything back at 0?

Omg i cant believe what happened last night!!! Woke up to HUGE mounds of sand everywhere!u torch and duncan were on the sand bed and completely buried!! The hammer coral was used to cover the entrance to my pistol shrimps cave! Turns out he dug under every rock and covered all the corals and made like 5 more caves. This is a nightmare.

I want to kill him!! Dumb shrimp! Who does he think he is? Messin up my corals.

Xenia is practically dead..dont know why it happened. Im bummed out

Sorry about your corals getting covered, I've lost a few corals that way. As long as you caught it soon enough they should recover.

Also really like your clown, he is awesome! Mine are almost completely black but looks like yours are already, thats cool. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom