Nu Nu and Gboy's 66 gallon Red Sea Max build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hondatek said:
If the aragonite your talking about is sugar sized grains it will eventually settle under the pfs which has bigger grains even if you put it as a top layer . So basically you would have a tank that looks like all pfs.

Well the opposite would happen lol. I know because I did 75lbs PFS in my 75g and 25lbs sugar sized sand and it turned out ok.. I wish I picked only one of the two though so it wouldn't look weird.

Gboy66 said:
Darn, hah i was hoping i could save it then. Ok, i think ill get the 80lbs of argonite. Not sure yet though.

Wouldnt 80 lbs make a 3" sandbed for the tank which is 38" by 21"

100lbs actually :) but you can add in some PFS too.

Just google sand bed calculator and see what it says. It does depend on the grain size. I used about 100 lbs less than it gave me as an estimate.

Ibrahim said:
Well the opposite would happen lol. I know because I did 75lbs PFS in my 75g and 25lbs sugar sized sand and it turned out ok.. I wish I picked only one of the two though so it wouldn't look weird.

I always heard the opposite but I never experimented myself.

I wouldnt say the pfs is useless yet.. Add a little as a filler. If you need a little more just add some pfs, it will save money and you will still get all the good effects of arag.

Hondatek said:
Just google sand bed calculator and see what it says. It does depend on the grain size. I used about 100 lbs less than it gave me as an estimate.

Is this a 180 gallon? Man thats alot of sand.

100 then! Ok, well i will be transfering over some sand from my 30 gallon so thatll be perfect!! Then maybe ill use a bit of PFS just to level it out at 3"

needmorecowbell said:
I wouldnt say the pfs is useless yet.. Add a little as a filler. If you need a little more just add some pfs, it will save money and you will still get all the good effects of arag.

I agree! Ill definitly use some of it at the bottom.

You could always put it where your rock will go and use the other sand for the rest of the tank.

Jester1026 said:
You could always put it where your rock will go and use the other sand for the rest of the tank.

Not sure if i follow, just add it in the spots the rock will be? Im thinking of making a thin layer acrossthe whole bottom

I dont like posting too much, but i just ordered the stuff and ik excited!:D Atm, 50lbs of rock, and 80 lbs of the argonite white sand have got my name on them;)

Thanks for all the help guys, and for your awesome review Fort. That really helped

needmorecowbell said:
Sounds great! Are you going to get a bigger cuc when the time comes or do you have enough?

Definitly a bigger one. Most likely the one for a 20 gallon tank on cleaners

I would do the custom order from him. He gives a very accurate list. I got a lot of snails that were free but It doesn't look weird at all anymore. It will the first few days because they are slow from the shipping.

needmorecowbell said:
I would do the custom order from him. He gives a very accurate list. I got a lot of snails that were free but It doesn't look weird at all anymore. It will the first few days because they are slow from the shipping.

Oh okay, i purposfully wanted a smaller pack because he always overloads it!

needmorecowbell said:
Oh gotcha,

But i see what your saying, and it'd be cool to make my own! Ill have to find out more about it. The one thing i wanted (and im sure my mom woul love too) is a reef safe starfish. Brittlestars are pretty ugly, so could i get any of the blue or red ones? I dont want a sandsifting star because i have heard bad things

most of the bright colored stars arent reef safe. serpent stars arent exactly pretty, but they are good for the system from what ive heard.

Serpent stars are a great addition! They are easy to care for and pretty cool when you see them out and about. :) I have one in my 125g and he hangs out in the open alot so I get to see him eat. You can also handfeed them too, like I said a good choice for a newer tank.

Cool, what do they eat exactly? Leftover food right? Im going to google it right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom