Nualgi experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Like many of us, Im constantly struggling with various forms of algae. I mostly have the issue in my planted tanks, but I also get it in my non-planted tanks to a lesser degree.
Ive treated with H2O2, adjusted the photo periods, adjusted how I introduce carbon (and how much) and played around with the fertilization. Whenever I think I finally figured it out and things are looking good, it seems like algae (mainly BBA) rears its ugly head within 3-6 weeks. Sometimes slowly, sometimes it just seems to spring up overnight.

I ran across a product called Nualgi Aquarium on YouTube and decided to look into it a little bit more. The idea behind it seemed interesting enough. Its supposed to promote the growth of a beneficial form of diatom algae that will then out compete the nuisance algae.

I looked around for some reviews and maybe some "Before & After" type stuff. While I was able to find some, they all seemed have received free samples from the company that makes it, so I cant be sure of how objective the experimenters are.

A 100ml bottle cost $30 US, but the dosage is relatively small (.4ml/10 gallon every 4 days). I figured it might be with the money to give this stuff a try. Lord knows Ive spent more on other stuff. :lol:

I started dosing today after my weekly PWCs. The website for the product says that its a gradual process, especially in freshwater aquariums, and that I'll not likely start seeing results for two weeks.

My plan is to post weekly photos from two different tanks to see what kind of results I get. At the very least, being able to compare the photos over the next several weeks will be helpful to me... maybe for you too. :whistle:

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 86
Yeah you've got me interested. In my case though I can't get rid of diatoms... Just seems to settle on old leaves

Yeah you've got me interested. In my case though I can't get rid of diatoms... Just seems to settle on old leaves

Its my understanding that the diatoms being promoted are of a different species than the brown diatoms that can typically plague our aquariums. However, I did read that if the aquarium currently had brown diatoms, that you are supposed to start with a lower dosage and then slowly increase it to the recommended dosage.

Ok... I've now been dosing for two weeks now. I haven't been doing anything else to treat or remove the algae, so its become considerably worse. The Nualgi instructions stated that it would be two weeks before I started seeing results, so this shouldn't reflect on whether or not the stuff is working. Hopefully I'll start seeing results in the weeks ahead.

Attachments

• IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 64
Ok... I've now been dosing for two weeks now. I haven't been doing anything else to treat or remove the algae, so its become considerably worse. The Nualgi instructions stated that it would be two weeks before I started seeing results, so this shouldn't reflect on whether or not the stuff is working. Hopefully I'll start seeing results in the weeks ahead.

Thanks for posting this, interesting and maybe even more.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Following as well - curious to see the results. Intrigued by the notion that one type of diatom (promoted as beneficial) will out compete another simply through dosing. Is there a caveat on there about having to continue dosing for the life of the aquarium?

Im now at the 4 week(ish) point and I forgot to take any pictures. :facepalm:

In one tank I can honestly say that the black hair algae isn't any better BUT it isn't any worse either.... so there's that.

In the other tank, the amount of algae is still increasing, but the coloring is fading. Its more of a light brown/grey instead of a dark brown/black. I think Im going to go ahead and call that a push as well.

Im far beyond the point were I would have normally manually removed the really bad areas and gave the rest an H2O2 spot treatment. In the interest of this experiment, Im going to give it another 4 weeks before I do this. Most of the pictures and videos from other people who were trying this didn't seem to have dramatic results until around the 6-8 week mark.

Wy Renegade: To answer your question, I do believe that you are meant to continue dosing even after the algae is (hopefully) gone.

I was just going through the Nuagli website's FAQs and it mentioned that sometimes you have to reduce the amount of fertilizer you dose into a planted tank when using there product. I may need to look into that as well.

Was someone trying this recently as well? Thought I saw a post on this recently.

It probably was mine. I am trying this, there's a "new" formula of the stuff and I see other people trying it. I don't see the harm in it.

I went wrong when I stopped dosing all together and doing weekly water changes for sometimes over a month. I'm back into my groove (thanks to my Python) and now the only thing holding me back is this unsightly BBA. I'm on week 2 and my mom won't stop talking about how clear the water looks lol. I'm going to go through the full process along with h202 spot treating and a little bit of manual removal, I'll let you guys know what's going on by the end of the process.

Back
Top Bottom