Odd rainbow behaviour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clynnking

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, my 38 gallon finally cycled- added fish! I moved fish from my existing tank. This made room for the addition of 5 turquoise rainbows I picked up at Petsmart yesterday. Got them home, acclimated and started to watch them. They schooled together so beautifully last night and this morning I turned on the light to find the largest of the 5 in the center of the tank with barbs and tetras and the other 4 rainbows hiding in the plants. As I observed them it appears to me that I have 3-4 males and 1-2 females. Hard to tell but many of them were flashing their beautiful colors and I think 2 were not (females?) They were reluctant to come out to eat but did so when I turned the lights off. One odd thing I saw-this large male (2 1/2 inches) got right along side my kissing gourami (male) and shimmied himself very tight to the side of the gourami and moved the gourami horizontally across the tank. The gourami wasn't bothered by it- didn't attempt to chase or bite. The rainbow made no moves to chase or bite the gourami. Now the dominant rainbow is in the middle of the tank (lights are off) and the other 4 are hiding out again. Whats up? I thought they were supposed to school and hang out with each other. I know I will need a bigger tank around Christmas as these get larger (my strategy for a larger tank with my husband). Petsmart was not able to tell which were females or males when he caught them for me. He also said they would be semi aggressive fish and that I would not be able to return them for aggressive reasons. I had read they were peaceful community fish. What gives?:confused:

Rainbows are very peaceful fish The only aggression is during breeding, and when the males display to each other. The behavoir you are seeing with your new bows is perfectly normal. give them time and they will start coming out more, and be more at ease. It takes up to a week sometimes. Spend as much time near the tank as possible. rainbows are great fish they just have some odd quirks. I have some that pick at my hand while doing tank maintenance. I also have some 10 year old Goyder river, and Boesemanis that like to be petted(for lack of a better term) Just be patient and spend alot of time around the tank and they will start putting on a show for you. You can tell males from females a couple of different ways. The last ray of the first dorsal fin will overlap into the second dorsal fin. also the anal fin will be pointed. The males (when a little more mature) will have more intense color. in the case of Lacustris(turquoise) like you have the females actually have quite a bit of color. a few things to know about rainbows, they need LOTS of vegetable matter in their diet,Veggie flakes are good also you can give them bits of green beans, and squash, any type of raw veggies or fruit that you can get them to eat is good for them. goldfish flakes work well for them also. I wouldn't feed them frozen Bloodworms as it can cause ulcers to start on their bodies. Other frozen Or freeze dried foods are fine. One more thing is LARGE water changes,50-75% once a week is perfect for rainbows.

Thanks for the help foster53. I was planning 30% water changes weekly but will take your advice. I just love these new fish-was feeling bad that they weren't getting along with each other. I have been feeding flake food and frozen brine shrimp. They really are a fish that seem to have a lot of personality. I will sit by the tank often as you suggest as I noted they would come out more if I moved away from the tank. I think I will make my new "christmas tank" all rainbows. 55 gallons or bigger I hope. Have to find that great craigs list deal to convince my hubby that I need tank #4. Good Luck to me!
Also, the anal fin is more pointed on the female or male? Overlaping fins on female or male? The coloration in these fish is amazing. They are a kalaidescope of color before your eyes. The males appear to have an orange nose at times and they change from green to aqua to deep blue then silver. Black stripe is sometimes navy color. Great fun to watch!:dance:

Sounds like you're right on track to me too. I had 5 turquoise and 3 boesmani that eventually all schooled together. As foster53 said, the more time you spend around the tank the more they will interact with you. Mine used to get really vibrant colors that made them look like different fish sometimes! Not to disupute someone who obviously knows more than I about rainbows, but I always did 30% a week (still do) and they seemed to be fine in my 55 gal. They really like room to run, enjoy!

Glad to see there are other rainbow keepers out there. The males have the overlaping first dorsal, and the more pointed anal fins. They also display the breeding stripe, the stripe you see when they are flashing. It can change to several different colors depending on the color of the fish. As far as the size of the water changes, that is up to each persons discretion. I do the larger changes because that is what I found works best for my bows. When I was doing smaller changes I found mine didn't breed to their full potential, and also didn't show their best color. If you are getting a good vibrant reaction from your bows with a 30% change then that amount might work for you. A short while after the W/C you should see your males color right up and start displaying to the females and flashing the breeding stripe all the way from their nose to the first dorsal fin. as far as your bow displaying to your Gourami,I never said rainbows were the smartest fish in the pond:eek: If any one is interested in a sight dedicated strictly to rainbows PM me and I will give you the site. ALso if you are interested in getting some of the more unusual bows PM me and I will give you a list of some good breeders.

I'm new to Rainbows, but picked up 3 Boesemani and 2 Turquoise during the latest Petsmart sale. I'm planning to acquire more when they get some in stock. They really are beautiful.

Mine schooled with each other after about 4 days. Now, one of the female Boesemani has taken the dominant position, probably because she is the only fully mature "grown up".

Of all things, they have taken to schooling with the 7 Gold Barbs. They play with each other all the time. Now I'm considering some Gertrude Rainbows. I have a very peaceful tank. The only aggressor is a dwarf gourami, who just wants to exhibit his dominance and then is fine. I'm amazed at the diversity of this specie.

Give yours a little time. I'm sure they will get used to their new environment quickly and you'll have happy go lucky behavior soon.

I'm so excited!! Not long after I started this thread my husband had said YES to my request for a 55 gallon tank. Of course I checked craigslist and found one up and running with fish-stand and all for $125! Problem is its at a business-according to the answering machine. Its a holiday weekend so I may not hear back until Tues.:(
My rainbows are jumping with excitement just like my heart is going pitter pat! How will I stand it until I hear back?:confused:
Guess I will have to figure that if its gone it isn't the right one huh?

I'm new to Rainbows, but picked up 3 Boesemani and 2 Turquoise during the latest Petsmart sale. I'm planning to acquire more when they get some in stock. They really are beautiful.

Mine schooled with each other after about 4 days. Now, one of the female Boesemani has taken the dominant position, probably because she is the only fully mature "grown up".

Of all things, they have taken to schooling with the 7 Gold Barbs. They play with each other all the time. Now I'm considering some Gertrude Rainbows. I have a very peaceful tank. The only aggressor is a dwarf gourami, who just wants to exhibit his dominance and then is fine. I'm amazed at the diversity of this specie.

Give yours a little time. I'm sure they will get used to their new environment quickly and you'll have happy go lucky behavior soon.
The Gertrudae are going to be a little to small to be in with the other bows, the Boes are going to reach about 5" at maturity, and the Lacustris Turquoise are going to reach about 4" at maturity. They will also reach a total height of about 3"-4". The Gertrudae only reach about 2" in total length. Just my opinion:)

55 is a great starter size tank for bows. you can put quite a few in that size tank. Once they start growing to maturity you may have to upsize tanks. Rainbows need more length in a tank as opposed to height, they are always on the move. Let your significant other that a 6' tank could be in your future:ROFLMAO:

The Gertrudae are going to be a little to small to be in with the other bows, the Boes are going to reach about 5" at maturity, and the Lacustris Turquoise are going to reach about 4" at maturity. They will also reach a total height of about 3"-4". The Gertrudae only reach about 2" in total length. Just my opinion:)

Thanks for the heads up. I read where the rainbows mouths were larger than their throats and they are not as prone to trying to eat smaller fish. I also read that the Gertrudea will get to be 2 inches or so. Do you think there is a threat of them becoming lunch?

I currently have a school of Cardinal tetras that seem to be doing fine, and they are only about 1 to 1.5 inches. Any comments are appreciated.

Not so much a threat of eating the smaller bows as it is bullying the smaller ones. As you have already noticed I'm sure they are very boisterous and active when they get going.They are active and anything in their path is fair game. I have done several experiments with small fish and larger rainbows, only had one Boesmani that tried to eat a Cardinal Tetra. Neither fish faired very well:lol:. If you like the smaller blue eyed bows an option is a 20 long set up as a species tank. Well planted with a dozen or so blue eyes makes a terrific display;)

Back
Top Bottom