ODNO lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to build a better hood this week to upgrade my stock lighting. Are the T8 tubes so much more efficient over T12's that I should I should use them?

Only reason I ask is that I have a lot of T12 fixtures around that I can nab parts from.

Also, can anyone suggest a good ballast?

I'm thinking of going with 2 tubes, overdriven to 150%. How does that sound over a 55g?

TIA!

yes i believe they are, since i have 2 17 watt t8s it is actually 48 watts instead of 34 but i forget the percentage of how much better they are, wizard of oz has a good calculator on here and is very knowledgeable about lights and he has a calculator that is more indeph on lumens in the lights instead of wattage. but as far as my knowledge goes, i believe t8s are better than t12s

this is what i was told by wizard
Put 17w T8's in it, they are brighter for the power consumed. (T8 = 141% of T12 light per watt) so 17w T8 = 24W T12

quadrider5953 said:
You can use one to power each overdriven bulb.

HTH

Kyle

You mean something like you buy two fixtures and then use the ballasts out of the two?

You lost me with that last part.

u are using 2 ballast that should be powering 4 bulbs but u will only be powering 2 bulbs with it. that is what overdrining is lol i hope u have read a little before jumping in to the overdriving thing or u may have some problems. i would pm greenmaji if u need some additional help.

ODNO does require some skill at understandign wiring diagrams, and carrying out those diagram'd plans.

The smaller the diamter of the bulb (the T-value) while keeping the same wattage, yields a more intense output.

but its not huge. a T8 17w bulb is still a 17w bulb, and isn't gonan be enough of a difference from a t-12 20w bulb for you to even care.
Now, if you switch up to a HO T5 bulb, that's a whole different ball of wax, and lots of people get tripped up on it, since the T5 bulb is even narrower with a ton of output. But, its' an HO bulb (high output)...run off an electronic ballast, at a higher wattage.

I have a 2xODNO light over my tank (150% increase). I use 1 dual ballast per bulb.. You can go up to 1 quad ballast per bulb (200% or 4xODNO).

T8's are (very rough) 50% brighter per watt..

Ok, i went to home depot and picked up two shop lights w/ electronic ballast for $8/ea, and two T8 32w(highest they had) for $5 a pop.

Got it all wired up and working correctly, how many watts per gallon would that put me at for a 55?

Also, I got "natural sunlight" bulbs rated at 5000*K, will these do for plants?

Thanks for all the help :)

Yes, those will do fine, I run 1 x 40w 6500k 1 x 32w (in a 40w magnetic ballast) 6500k, 2 2xODNO 5000k (exact same bulb as you) ans 1 32w 4100k.

The 2 2xODNO are putting out light equivelent to 96w T8 (* 1.41) = 136w or 2.5WPG.. 55Gal the WPG rule is actually pretty accurate for.

You may want to put at least DIY Co2 in that tank to help the plants fight algae..

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
Yes, those will do fine, I run 1 x 40w 6500k 1 x 32w (in a 40w magnetic ballast) 6500k, 2 2xODNO 5000k (exact same bulb as you) ans 1 32w 4100k.

The 2 2xODNO are putting out light equivelent to 96w T8 (* 1.41) = 136w or 2.5WPG.. 55Gal the WPG rule is actually pretty accurate for.

You may want to put at least DIY Co2 in that tank to help the plants fight algae..

Wow, I was hoping to keep it around 90w. I just threw together a real quick canopy that I'm gunna have to redo at some point. Wow, I gotta start making a list of things to do here.

But 2.5wpg works, should mean my plants will grow nicely, hopefully without me having to get too heavily involved in co2 and fertilizers just yet.

T-5 HO's will actually work with at least 56Watts worth of electronic instant starting ballasts but the ballasts made for them use a program start to extend the life of the bulbs (much like the feature that ICECAP ballasts have had for many years already, and the old ICECAPS still work to keep the bulb life long)

Wizzard~Of~Ozz knows plenty enough about this subject to be MORE then helpfull.. I like to help people out in hardware selection if they havn't done so yet (to help them save money depending on the results they are wanting to get) your expectations were low enough that what you purchased pretty much would have been what I would have suggested.. Good work :p

So for 2.5wpg, what would be my next best route? Ferts (I'm using PFS), or CO2?

I'ntereting what you say about the T-5's. I may look into that seeing as I'm having a hell of a time getting my 48" lights over a 48" tank.

And for others interested - the lights with the electronic ballasts in Home Depot are clearly maked on the price tag on the shelf as "shoplight w/ electronic ballast"

Everything I've read says its hard to tell which box contained a light with the correct ballast for overdriving, but they've made it quite easy.

I have 48" lights over a 48" tank.

first method was to attach a piece of wood to each side of the fixture and set it on the glasstop.

Then I made a canopy
canopy.jpg
that works great and allows me to put a full 18" of lights over a 75Gal.

as for T5's, the output of the T8 is still the highest output of any fluorescent fixture.. They are also considerably cheaper, even replacing them every 6months..

As for next, DIY Co2 is very important just to keep algae at bay, also for ferts, consider getting some potassium, it's the most important fert to add to a tank since the others are typically produced by fish, food or tapwater..

I think I'm gunna try as hard as possible to skip DIY CO2 and go right for pressurized. The DIY stuff truly looks like a waste of my time.

Question: Are the threads to screw a regulator onto a CO2 bottle the same as propane/oxygen bottles? If so, I might already have a regulator that might work, which would be nice. Hell, it could be used with welding gasses as well (the argon/whatever mixture on the MIG outside, anyway).

Any idea?

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
It is a CGA320 fitting.. Propane fittings are different..

Hm.. Any idea if its possible to change the adpater on the regulator then? Be much cheaper than buying a new one, if possible.

T-5's NO's are not as powerfull as overdrivin T-8's.. but overdivin in thory would be far more powerful

T-5 HO's are so powerfull that when overdrivin (like ODNO's are) the reef keepers over at reefcentral (the T-5 HO guru in the lighting section) advise against putting them over a tank less then 3 foot tall (growing SPS!!!!! 10watts per gallon being adviseable)

in other words.. thems be some powerfull lights :cool:

It would take some workhorse7's or Icecap660's to overdrive those lamps like that.. so no worries with those little 2-F32T8 ballasts.

I doubt you'll find an adapter from propane fitting -> CGA320.. a proper CGA320 reg, bubble counter, solonoid combo is about 80$.. Figure after you add an adapter,bubble counter and some method of controlling it you are going to be floating around the same price..

greenmaji, I haven't heard of people using a T8 ballast to drive T5 bulbs. I know it would require a replacement of the tombstones and the package would not be able to be used since t5 bulbs are shorter.

If you want to try it, Quantum Lighting rod's are T6 and have the same light output/watt as a T5 but at a higher wattage.. you should be able to drive those to quite a brightness, or you can just add another shoplight for 8$ into a canopy and you are at 4WPG.. cost wise, T8 is the best option. CF and T5 is great if you find yourself needing huge light in a compact area (reef tanks)..

If T8 loses intensity and should be replaced every 9-12 months, should 4x ODNO T8 be replaced every ~4-6 months (based on output) or ~2-3 months (based on OD multiplication factor)? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom