odor from tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Should not really smell. Maybe a light earthy odor. What do you smell? How often do you do water changes and other maintenance?

If your parameters are all in order and there is still a smell, I'd do an especially thorough cleaning job with all the usual maintenance tasks and finish off with a sizable PWC. Then I'd run carbon for a while and see if the odor persists.

A healthy fish tank will smell like freshly turned over earth. It should not be unpleasant, nor should it smell up the entire room.

Very strong odors can be caused by something decaying in the tank, by very dirty gravel, or by a very dirty filter. Usually, nitrates would be elevated by these conditions also.

Blue green algae infestation is associated with a rotten egg odor. You would know if you had BGA - it grows on and over everything that does not move in the tank.

First, check that you have no dead fish or snails rotting away. Wipe off any algae that may be growing on the glass under your light. Then, I would suggest a thorough gravel vac and water change. If the odor persists, you should clean the filter in a bucket of water drawn from your tank.

Back
Top Bottom