Oh..and...55gal lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seadonkey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Now that I have this 55gal to use as well, I am curious on lighting for it.

What would you use as minimum lighting for a 55gal reef?

I know the next question will be - well that depends on what you keep in it - I'm not exactly sure yet, but let's just say that I won't, for a long long time, have anything like anemones that require such intense lighting and stuff.

Argh, I hope that makes sense. lol.

:D

Well....like you said it would depend on what I wanted to keep, and with no idea what your envisioning...getting the minimum is almost certainly asking to spend more money on lighting later down the road.

FWIW, I have seen a successful 55g reef lit with 4 X 40W NO flouresceants, it contained lots of shrooms, a couple of leathers a bubble coral and an octobubble coral. I would not recommend this, even for the corals listed I would recommend a minimum of 2 X 110W VHO.

I like to know a minimum so I know where to start....I can say "okay, this is the line you do not cross/go below - now...work up from there" ...it gives me a jumping off point.

I was looking at the Custom SeaLife PowerCompact with Moon-Lite (4x65w - (2) 10,000K Premium-Daylight & (2) Ultra-Actinic)

What do you think about that setup?

I am getting the custom sea life for my 55gal. You can keep a good variety of corals, I also plan on getting a squamosa clam. My tank isn't very deep because of the DSB. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom