Ohh no.. So sad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerky

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am a new member here. Just started adding plants to my established 20G high aquarium. Plants have been growing well. I have been adding liquid carbon every morning and flourish every 4-5 days.

Had 11 Neons, 4 Corys, 3 Guppies, and 3 Otos. Pretty much max capacity (Neons to me have low bio load)

Everyone was happy until my 4 year old daughter climbed up onto my desk where my liquid CO2 is and dumped half the bottle!!!! She noticed I didn't "feed the plants" that morning and she felt she needed to do it. Lost every fish. I had to euthanize a couple ones too because they looked like they were suffering.

Needless to say i have put all my supplies in a high cabinet where she cannot reach even with a chair.

Just wanted to share my story, I was foolish for having the liquid carbon in reaching distance of her, but let this be a lesson to everyone!!! Don't have that stuff in reach of your children!!! I thought I had it out of reach but kids are crafty, especially when you leave the room for a couple of minutes. Thank god she never drank it (not sure if its super harmful).

A very sad day yesterday. Please no comments on my parenting, I know I messed up and made corrections so it will never happen again.

Whoa. That's kinda scary!! But I think it is good that it shared because something like that isn't something everyone would think of. My stuff is all locked under one of my tanks (we added handles we could put the cabinet locks on just because he gets into everything (almost 2) but if he were older and didn't play with it all just to explore I am not too sure I would have worried about something like that

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use a small floor safe for my stuff and have a list of what gets added when and how much invade I need someone to take care of it if I'm at work after feeding time

Sent from peliper

So now the mourning is over... How should I prep for new fish?

I already did a 60% change. I was planning on doing another 60% change.

I don't have a master testing kit, should I absolutely get one to check all the parameters?

Then I was going to start with otos and ghost shrimp.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would suggest getting one but if you can't right yet I would try going to a LFS and have them test the water.

I would consider on more really large water change just in case but it should be ok.

I don't remember from your post if it was the liquid carbon or the regular ferts that got dumped in - but if it was the regular ferts you might want to start with something other than ottos and shrimp only because they are both pretty sensitive especially the shrimp to metals. (If it was the carbon I don't think you have to worry about that- I just can't scroll back to the original post without losing what I wrote)

Just the liquid carbon. So you think 3 60%? I think I will get a kit. I never had one before. Always kept things great in the aquarium. But this makes me nervous.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I always over worry everything which is why I would do one more just in case. :)

Glutaraldehyde is a sterilizing agent, it might have killed your bacteria as well. So you might want to check to see if its still processing ammonia.

Glut breaks down fairly quickly so i dont think its going to be a problem after the water changes.

If no fish are left alive, i would just do a 100% change.

I know what it's like, i lost my prize pleco when my sibling tried to feed the fish and accidently tipped in half the can of food :(....

Back
Top Bottom