Oily film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishychick

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had an oily film on the water surface of my betta tank for awhile now. I tried to research before I posted so I wasn't repeating an earlier thread, but I'm still not sure what I should do about it. I have an Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium Kit, 5 Gal. with whatever filer and light come with it. I do a 40% water change once a week. I feed one medium flake once a day (he won't eat pellets) and fast him one day a week. Ph 7.6 ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0. I've heard more surface agitation helps but 1) I thought bettas don't like too much current and 2) I'm not sure how to adjust the filter I have or if it's even possible. Is this something I should worry about? I tried to lift the film off with a paper towel but it doesn't work great and always comes back. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's not something to worry about IMO. I've read a few articles that some bettas produce more protein and I believe that's what you may be seeing. It's not harmful at all, just unsightly to (finicky people like you and I, lol) some folks. You could "adjust" things by adding an airstone or lowering the water level a bit so it creates a slight splash as it enters the tank. Your WC's schedule and amount is excellent IMO but perhaps another flake or two from time to time and see how he responds.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used to have that but my tank has matured past it. I believe it is something that goes away with time, but it isn't harmful.

I noticed once I started planting my tank it SEEMED to go away. However it may have been something else causing this.

I agree that it's probably a layer of protein. I think it can inhibit gas exchange, so I would say try to take care of it. Surface agitation (either by lower the water or with and airstone like mentioned above) will help to keep at least a portion of the surface clear of film by breaking the surface tension, but when it happens on my tank I just use an old peanut butter jar and skim it all off the surface. Hope that helps.

Joseph Granata

I used to have that and even surface agitation could not get rid if it, I also tried using a net to get it out but that didn't work either. In the end, after all my efforts I gave up on it. A week or 2 later it was gone ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys. I'll lower the water level to try to create some surface agitation and try not to worry about it too much.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom