Ok convict, what do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huffers

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here's a few pics from my 10 gallon nano. Convict I know how good you are with aqua scraping advice so lay it on me! Others chime in too please! Any suggestions??

Attachments

• image-2986814286.jpg
    image-2986814286.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 135
  • image-4091736259.jpg
    image-4091736259.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1602243232.jpg
    image-1602243232.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 118
  • image-1399444016.jpg
    image-1399444016.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 116
  • image-1702997931.jpg
    image-1702997931.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 120
Imo you need 5-10 more lbs of smaller stuff to work with to get the most out of your tank. With the few pieces that you do have though I think it looks great and don't see much room for improvement.

Plus you need a background to hide those cords ;)

Yea I def agree about the background! I meant to pick one up yesterday but I forgot. I'm deciding between going with a blue or black.

And thanks for the compliment! I'm slowly adding coral frags that I hope will grow in this tank. I added the mushrooms yesterday. I'm really thinking about getting some hard corals now since the majority of what I have is softies.

I agree about the background. As for aquascaping- I will leave that to Convict who is way better than I. May I suggest a picture from each side and one from above? It may give him a better idea of what you are working with.

Bearchumjs said:
May I suggest a picture from each side and one from above? It may give him a better idea of what you are working with.

Good idea! Here's a view from the right, left, and overtop.

Attachments

• image-985262376.jpg
    image-985262376.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3499679996.jpg
    image-3499679996.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 120
  • image-4270265927.jpg
    image-4270265927.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 109
It needs to go up. I'm a "pile it against the back glass" guy. Even when I try not to, when I'm done it still is. Some mid sized rocks would help with this best unless you can find a larger "pillar" piece of rock.

My example with my 55 reef.
img_2103933_0_13042a531b0656f3e4fd85b4fa70751b.jpg

I agree. If it were me, I'd get more live rock, stack it up on each side and against the back glass. Who cares about the back ya know?

I love the cave so that's gotta stay lol. I'd just build the sides up more, it will give the appearance of a larger tank. I think you'd be happier with it that way.

Right now it looks great don't get me wrong but to my eye it looks kinda clean and placed together if that makes sense. Get more rock and just mess with the side and stack them, don't place them, visualize the reef under water and what it would look like.

A painted background, more live rock and just moving some rock again while stacking taller sections will make a HUGE difference IMHO.

I'm honored you value my opinions. I'm not sure what I did to deserve this but I'm happy to help.

Thank you so much.

Dino

EDIT:

Sniperhanks tank looks really natural and the rock work looks like it was just thrown in there that's a very nice look to achieve and is sometimes difficult to get.

Although I say it looks like he just threw it in there we know he didn't and that's the point.

Here's a pic of my friends 10 gallon and everyone thinks its bigger.

image-2941477297.jpg

BTW... I love the light fixture.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Convict! I've read a lot of your suggestions on this forum when it comes to aquascaping so I knew you were the one to ask. I think I'll go get my new background Tom and also see about getting some live rock to build up the sides of the tank. The trick will be finding thin pieces so ill have to be selective about it and it may take awhile to complete. But I do appreciate the advice!

And yes that tank of your buddy's looks like a 55 gallon! Very nicely done. And I've done my best to show others my light fixture, I'm also very happy about it and I only paid $89 for it!

Huffers said:
Thanks a lot Convict! I've read a lot of your suggestions on this forum when it comes to aquascaping so I knew you were the one to ask. I think I'll go get my new background Tom and also see about getting some live rock to build up the sides of the tank. The trick will be finding thin pieces so ill have to be selective about it and it may take awhile to complete. But I do appreciate the advice!

And yes that tank of your buddy's looks like a 55 gallon! Very nicely done. And I've done my best to show others my light fixture, I'm also very happy about it and I only paid $89 for it!

Your very welcome! Now please share some info about that light please :)

Can it grow corals? If so what kind?

It's a 20 led fixture that gives off 3 watts of light per bulb. So altogether I'm getting 60 watts of light. 12 10,000k of white light with 8 450actinic bulbs. So far I've had great success with it. Bought it off eBay and it's grown my leather corals, yellow polyps, zoas, mushrooms, and Xenia really well.

Huffers said:
It's a 20 led fixture that gives off 3 watts of light per bulb. So altogether I'm getting 60 watts of light. 12 10,000k of white light with 8 450actinic bulbs. So far I've had great success with it. Bought it off eBay and it's grown my leather corals, yellow polyps, zoas, mushrooms, and Xenia really well.

Nice! I'm really liking it. Do find it gives off a good amount of blue or is the tank more white?

From the pics it looks like a nice mix.

Well the pics make it look really blue but in person I think it's a really nice mix. Def enough white and not too much blue. Thanks!

No I'm not going to rescape what I already have because my corals are already glued in place. Besides I kinda like what I got. But I do think I will try too find some live rock pieces to build it up higher especially on the sides. It will take finding the right pieces though. I do have a cool new addition coming in the mail this week though. I've ordered a hang on the back refugium that I will be installing! I'm pretty excited about that. I'm going to add macro algea and hopefully that will help with the hair algae problem I've been having.

Huffers said:
No I'm not going to rescape what I already have because my corals are already glued in place. Besides I kinda like what I got. But I do think I will try too find some live rock pieces to build it up higher especially on the sides. It will take finding the right pieces though. I do have a cool new addition coming in the mail this week though. I've ordered a hang on the back refugium that I will be installing! I'm pretty excited about that. I'm going to add macro algea and hopefully that will help with the hair algae problem I've been having.

Fun!! Macro algae seems cool. My light should be here tomorrow. I hope once I start using it all that pretty purple coraline on the rocks you sent me will brighten up and spread all over the place!

... An emerald crab might take of that hair algae for ya! :)

Back
Top Bottom