OK. What about under-feeeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1FatFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Overfeeding has been discussed.
I would like to know how can I tell if I am under feeding my fish?
I feed my fish 2 times a day. Alittle in the morning and a little in the evening.
I put a little in, wait for them to eat it and then feed more etc...
My 3 Angelfish still seem hungry after I feed them. They just stay at the top waiting for me to put more in like they are really hungry?
Should I give them more or is this normal ?

Thank you.
Richie

It's very difficult to underfeed fish. I've had the problem from time to time with my cichlids--the strongest would chase away the weakest and eat all the food. Just look at their bellies. They should be sleek and streamlined--either a belly that looks bloated or sunken is bad (with obvious corrections).

The answer to this question depends on a lot of variables. Fishload, filtration and the age of the fish come to my mind immediately. If the fish are juveniles underfeeding can cause lots of probs. What are the size of your angels and what size tank are they in?

Thanks for the replies.
They are 2 inches. I have 3 of them in a 55gallon with 6 neons, 1 catyfishy, 1 algae eater and 2 kissing gouramis.

You will eventually have to move the neons for they will perish due to the likes of your angels.

Once I tried to feed less to my platies, cause they've gotten really fat. So I start feeding them once a day for a few days, and I feed less. Then I fast them for one day. The next day when I feed them, I saw the biggest (female) platy gets aggressive towards other smaller male and female platies. She pecks on others as they are trying to eat. She wanted the food for herself fearing she wouldnt get any on the next day.
Maybe I was rushing things.. :evil:

Excellent 1fatfish. They're still juves and have a lot of growing to do. I like your routine of feeding twice a day. I'm going to suggest you do a little experimenting with feeding quantities. Feed a pinch at a time until you see their bellies just begin to extend. This will give you an idea of how much you food to use at each feeding :wink:

Also, keep in mind that in the wild (and how they evolved) was on the brink. If they got food, they ate it--ALL of it! You could feed your fish everytime you pass the tank and they would eat. Except for my fry, my fish are fed every other day. The Mbuna still get gravid/mouth brood and the brichardi and shellies still lay eggs and raise young. Plus I have found eggs in the community tank, so I must be doing something right :wink:

Back
Top Bottom